Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Solid State and Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Castle Robin

Castle Robin

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

Do computers with Solid State drives have the Microsoft Windows Defragmenter installed?

I'm interested in finding out if I have a solid state or standard hard drive installed.  I've looked online but can't find anything conclusive. Likewise in the invaluable Speccy which doesn't clarify this specific information.

And what is the Safe alternative to Registry cleaners for deleting traces left behind of uninstalled programs, editing programs, surfing the Internet, etc?

Edited by Castle Robin, 27 February 2014 - 02:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Microsoft...makes software and operating systems.  Solid state drives are hardware items manufactured by various vendors.

The Windows defrag tool...is part of every version of Windows that I am familiar with.

SSDs are NOT to be defragged. see Raxco Blog .  Raxco is one of the entities that also makes a defrag utility, considered by some to be very good.

The "safe alternative" to registry cleaners...is simply to ignore the advertising and false claims made by such.  A hard drive...a system...is not like a cluttered room or a unkempt house, it doesn't have to be maintained to remove items which take up little space and do no harm at all to the O/S.

Louis

#3 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

Microsoft do indeed make software and operating systems, and I'm very happy to not defrag a solid state drive due to the damage that would be caused by defragmentation, but how can I establish if I have a Solid State drive?

I've held back defragmenting my computer until I can be absolutely sure that my computer is a standard hard drive, which I've not been able to establish due to a lack of information available upon my research.  I've looked up my model, but found nothing conclusive to determine either way which type of drive it is.

My original intention to use a registry cleaner, which I now won't use on this new computer, to avoid putting it at risk of accidentally removing required registry keys, was to ensure that the increasing number of tracks left behind after my opening, closing and editing of documents, surfing the web, installing and uninstalling documents, etc didn't clutter up my computer to the point where navigation is heavily slowed down, as happened with my previous computer due to unneeded files accumulating over time that increasingly scattered around my computer.

Edited by Castle Robin, 27 February 2014 - 02:51 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

If you go to Device Manager and click on Disk Drives...you will see the description/model of each drive.  On this system, mine tells me I have 1 SSD and 2 hard drives.  If it isn't clear from just looking at the displayed data...simply copy the detail data displayed and use Google to look up the specifics for the drive..

Louis

#5 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the info.

I've checked in Device Manager - Disk Drives, and in my case, no mention of the type of drive, just the model and "SATA Disk Device", but after a lack of information in some sites I'd checked before, just the basics I already knew, I did some additional checks in some different sites which all match to the answer - I have an HDD (Hard Disk Drive), so I shall set about defragmenting my computer shortly.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

:thumbup2: .

Louis

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

Click on disk drives it opens and shows the drive/drives, I never seen nondiscript on my stuff is it common?

Edited by OldPhil, 28 February 2014 - 04:08 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:45 AM

Click on disk drives it opens and shows the drive/drives, I never seen nondiscript on my stuff is it common?

Computers must vary considerably, as on mine it just gives the name and model number of the disk drive then "SATA Disk Device".  No reference of "HDD" or "Hard Disk Drive", unless you're referring to the following. 

The closest I got to that was when I right clicked on the device then "Properties" - "General" - "Manufacturer:" where it states "(Standard disk drives)".  On reflection, that is clearly the same thing, but I wanted conclusive proof of a more exact description to be absolutely sure.  The sites I originally checked against my model gave the bare minimum details, so I had nothing to go on to confirm either way.  I then persevered, found some other sites, this time with the information I'd been seeking, and all came to the same conclusion that verifies I have a Hard Disk drive, so I now have peace of mind that it is perfectly safe to use the defragmenter on my new computer. :)  If I had rushed into a defragmentaton, and it had turned out my computer had a Solid State drive installed, it would have been damaged and I didn't want to take any chances that could have put my computer at risk, especially as it's new.

Edited by Castle Robin, 28 February 2014 - 05:59 AM.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:10 AM

When I look in  device manager and click on Disk drives I get this.

15x4n6f.png

Hitachi  HTS547550A9E384 SATA disk Device

then I google the above

See this.

http://bit.ly/1huXF8z

And the result.

http://reviews.cnet.com/internal-hard-drives/hitachi-travelstar-5k750-hts547550a9e384/4505-9998_7-34411661.html

• Spindle speed 5400 rpm I guess its not ssd because it spins lol.

Google a wanna be geeks best friend.

Edited by NickAu1, 28 February 2014 - 06:31 AM.

Arch Linux .
Bleeping Computer Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines link 
Important Information For All Who Help/Post In Linux & Unix
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet <- Everyone must read this!
How to Protect and Harden a Computer against Ransomware <- Everyone must read this!

""Three out of four voices in my head want to sleep. The fourth voice wants to know if penguins have knees."

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:39 AM

The Model Number clearly reveals what is pertient.

Louis

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

I fired up all four of my machines after reading the post they all show model and serial #, I guess there must be variations in some instances when maker buy generic lots.  I have noticed in a few posts a brand named lap top or two with several different manufacturers components, at first struck me as odd, but in thinking about it the do the best buys they can to stay competitive.  Case closed in my thinking now :tophat:  

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#12 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

When I look in  device manager and click on Disk drives I get this.

15x4n6f.png

Hitachi  HTS547550A9E384 SATA disk Device

then I google the above

See this.

http://bit.ly/1huXF8z

And the result.

http://reviews.cnet.com/internal-hard-drives/hitachi-travelstar-5k750-hts547550a9e384/4505-9998_7-34411661.html

• Spindle speed 5400 rpm I guess its not ssd because it spins lol.

Google a wanna be geeks best friend.

I like your comical link with the animation and comment! :lol:

Indeed, Google found the answer you and I required.

I also Googled originally with details of my computer's drive model when I first tried to determine if my computer is what I now know it to be - a Hard Disk drive, but the sites I previously looked at and the details within my computer in the same sections as yours didn't give this information, just the basics that I already knew about, so upon recommendation from another BC member, I introduced this thread, which has come in very handy. :) 

Persevering further, I eventually got the information I wanted in the end.  It's immaterial that I didn't obtain this information at first, as I've got it now and I can now defragment at my leisure without any worries of repercussions to my computer.

All's well that ends well. :)

#13 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

The Model Number clearly reveals what is pertient.

Louis

Agreed.  It's just a shame the sites I originally looked at to determine the type of drive I have didn't give this information when I viewed them.  I have it now, so I can have peace of mind that my computer won't be damaged during a defragmentation. :)

#14 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

No worries.  While it would be helpful if all computers had specific Drive information in the Device Manager section, all has worked out in the end. :)

I fired up all four of my machines after reading the post they all show model and serial #, I guess there must be variations in some instances when maker buy generic lots.  I have noticed in a few posts a brand named lap top or two with several different manufacturers components, at first struck me as odd, but in thinking about it the do the best buys they can to stay competitive.  Case closed in my thinking now :tophat:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users