Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can an ipad be unlocked?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 foiler

foiler

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

There are some ipad 2's for sale that are "locked".  I assume they are password protected to a previous user.  Does this render them usless?  I would like to get one for my wife who is disabled and can't do much.  New ones are quit expensive.  Not sure an ipad is the way to go but was told they are not as prone to get viruses.  Not computer literate here.  Wife has never used one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

It depends upon how they are locked, generally the new icloud activation lock is something that cannot be bypassed, even if it could we would not be able to help you with it as it is against the forum rules. In my honest opinion it would be a bad idea to buy them if they are locked, as that could also mean they are stolen.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

Locked probably refers not to being password protected, but likely carrier locked, such as Verizon or AT&T. 

Unofficial iOS Genius

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:55 AM

In my honest opinion it would be a bad idea to buy them if they are locked, as that could also mean they are stolen.

If the original poster meant passcode locked, then I agree that this would be my biggest concern. Someone selling a passcode locked iPad (or iPhone or iPod Touch or Android phone, etc) seems to be a rather chance that it is a stolen device.

Locked probably refers not to being password protected, but likely carrier locked, such as Verizon or AT&T.

That is possible. If it is a "carrier" lock (i.e. cannot activate the device on another "cell" network), then it would still work with WiFi and that might be all that is needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users