Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Word problem on MAC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 techlove

techlove

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

Hey hey - so, recent problem that I have never had before: I go into word, start writing and all of the sudden the rainbow "sign" comes instead of my cursor. Im not able to save my document and Word will only close if I "force quit" it... if I switch screens to firefox or whatever, the cursor turns back to normal... 

any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

That sounds like the "spinning beachball of death" as it is called. Typically, that means the program has frozen/locked up. If you can switch to another program including the Finder, then it is likely just Word that is locked up. You can then use Force Quit to quit Word and try it again. If it continues to happen, then you might want to reinstall Word/Office.

#3 techlove

techlove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:50 AM

Thank you first of all for your response, and yes, it most certainly IS the spinning ball of death... its going to kill me!

After having taken the macbook to the apple store (they said it was a microsoft problem - meaning they were too incompetent to be able to solve it) I uninstalled word and reinstalled a BRAND NEW version of word.  Rainbow still shows and now I get an error message as well...

any other suggestions?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:20 AM

Thank you first of all for your response, and yes, it most certainly IS the spinning ball of death... its going to kill me!
After having taken the macbook to the apple store (they said it was a microsoft problem - meaning they were too incompetent to be able to solve it) I uninstalled word and reinstalled a BRAND NEW version of word.  Rainbow still shows and now I get an error message as well...
any other suggestions?

Try setting up another user account and using Word in that user account. If it works with another user account, then it might be a corrupted preference files or some other conflict.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users