Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8/8.1 clean install from upgrade disc

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 JudMc

JudMc

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

On the Microsoft Community forums, they convinced me that I need to do a clean install of Windows 8/8.1.

I decided that if I have to do a clean install, I will replace the C hard drive with a SSD. I got the SSD yesterday. I've installed drives 15-20 times and I've installed Windows upgrades, but never a clean install of Windows.

Some of the people were warning me not to do it myself, and to get a computer store to do it. The told me about how changing the ATA setting to AHCI (as needed for the SSD) will make Windows 8 get into a reboot loop. I checked my BIOS, and it is already set to AHCI (the only other choice was RAID), so that shouldn't be a problem.

This computer came with Windows 7. I bought the retail Windows 8 upgrade disc when it was new and installed it. When the 8.1 free download came out, I downloaded it from the Windows store and installed it. I have the license keys for all three of these.

My plan (after backing up files, of course) is to:
1. replace the C: HD with the SSD.
2. use the Window 8 upgrade disc to do a clean install (this can be done, right?)
3. do Windows Update, do all updates, and keep rebooting until there are no more updates
4. download and install the 8.1 update

I read that there can be a problem activating Windows, but there is a change you can make to the registry to allow it to activate (I've done regedits before).

Do you see any problems with me doing this myself?

ADDED:

Since I wrote this, I looked at this video about doing a clean install.  It says to make an ISO image first.  Is this video accurate?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQyxD-ifsGo

Edited by JudMc, 26 February 2014 - 01:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users