Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are all these DIY steps required to replace my modem?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

My built-in modem isn't being recognized. I'm now using an external usb 56k modem but it's kind of a pain to use. (Dell D620)

As these modems are really cheap (under $5) I'm thinking of putting a new one in. So far the only DIY i've found seems incredibly complex and calls for removing so many components it seems kind of daunting.

I haven't examined the video that closely yet but are all these steps actually required just to replace the modem? I've had the machine open before, including removing the keyboard but I don't recall doing all these steps.

If a step is required to be safe I've got no problem doing it, but some of these don't really seem necessary.

Anyone have any ideas about all these steps being required?

Thanks

The link below includes a text version of the repair and a video of it.

http://blog.parts-people.com/2011/08/24/dell-latitude-d620-modem-removal-and-installation/

Update: After looking at the photos, it looks like just enough of the modem lies under the palm rest of the case requiring it to be removed (the palm rest) to get to the modem..

Attached Files

Edited by brian2009, 26 February 2014 - 11:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

Looks like just remove the palm rest and get to the modem only. No need to detach any thing else.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

Have you checked if the 56k modem is disabled in the bios? As far as replacing it yes all thsoe steps is required to replace it.

#4 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

Have you checked if the 56k modem is disabled in the bios? As far as replacing it yes all thsoe steps is required to replace it.

I've only viewed the video one time because I don't have a fast internet until I get to a Wi-Fi location later this week.

The more I look at the photos though, It looks like a lot of these steps might required. I wasn't sure about removing the CD-DVD though.

I haven't checked the bios. I'm not really sure how to do that. I just recently 'removed' the original modem using Control Panel-Phone-Modems because it wasn't being recognized (and I thought it was making the usb modem connection complicated).

Do I need to 'add' the old modem again before I check the bios?

Update:

I got into the bios. It showed the internal modem as being 'enabled' and listed a model name (which I forgot to write down-I will next time).

Then when windows xp continued to boot it 'found a new device' (internal modem) and began looking for the driver. It didn't find any and wherever I thought the drivers might be, it didn't find any there either. The external usb modem was not connected during the boot-up. After it failed finding the internal driver I went to Control  Panel and it showed only the new external usb modem (not found-as it wasn't connected).

I didn't try to add the internal though. I'll try to later, but that was the same point I was at when I decided to buy the external usb modem.

Edited by brian2009, 27 February 2014 - 01:54 AM.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:44 AM

Got to dell website and download the driver for your model of laptop. http://www.dell.com/support/my-support/us/en/19/Products/ Windows typically has a hard time detecting and installing drivers for 56k modems.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,744 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

Try deleting the modem in control panel then reboot, it should reload it.  If not no big lose as you must delete it to install a new one.

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users