Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Corruption

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 missmandi82

missmandi82

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/439420/can-only-boot-in-safe-mode/ - Hamluis.

I did this and now it said that it found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the cbs.log any suggestions as to what I should do next.

Edited by hamluis, 26 February 2014 - 11:14 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

Hi missmandi82, and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

It would help if you were to provide an explanation of what is or isn't happening.  It would also help to know the make and model of this computer.

I'm guessing that you ran sfc /scannow since you reported having corrupt file of which some couldn't be fixed.  If you still have the log for this scan it would help if you were to post it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 missmandi82

missmandi82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

Okay sorry first timer here:) Not to sure where I should start but yesterday my computer was shut down by the power button on the front of the computer by my daughter while I was doing some down loading and coverting. From that point the computer would not go back on just kept restarting itself. I then tried in safe mode and it worked. I then found your form serching for the problem and followed all the advice and it work but it gave me the response that it did not fix all the corrupt files. so I was just wondering what my next step would be and if this would have anything to do with me having trouble installing the update: Net framework 1.1 sp1 that I cant get to update no matter what I try. I am running windows vista home basic service pack 2 ADM Athlon ™ 64 X2 dual core processor 4800+ 2.50GHz 32 bit operating system. I am so sorry I am not sure where to go and find the log from the sfc I did this morning.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

Try doing a system restore to a date prior to the update problem.

I'm assuming that you ran sfc /scannow if you received a message stating that corrupt files were not fixed.  If the system restore doesn't resolve this issue please post the log from the sfc /scannow.  If you need help finding the log you can use the instructions below.

Click on the Start orb and Type cmd in the Search programs and files box. 

cmd will appear in the pane above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.  

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, this will look similar to the image below. 

commandprompt_zps212bc71a.png

Copy and then paste the following in the Elevated Command Prompt and then press Enter:    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt  

This will place an icon on your desktop titled sfcdetails, click on this to open it, copy and then paste this in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 missmandi82

missmandi82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

Okay I just did all the steps on this page: support.microsoft.com/kb/976982 and foklowed all the steps to have method 3 finally work. I should add that I tried this before when it first started but it did not work. I believe that following your steps for the sfc and then trying it again was the trick to getting the framwork to install. when I go to the cmd and copy and paste what you said to in above post all I get back is the system can not find the path specified.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

Something wasn't done correctly.  I just ran the command on my computer and had the sfcdetails appear on my desktop.

Let's rerun the sfc /scannow and then use the command.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Sart orb and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

A page similar to the one below will open.

commandprompt_zps212bc71a.png

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.  Please notice the space between sfc and the /scannow.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it should stop, to be sure that the scan has stopped wait five minutes, then type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

After the scan is finished open the command prompt as you did to run the scan and then copy and paste the command below.  Once this is done you should have a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Be sure that you copy the entire command.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users