Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wifi only tablet battery drained by cell radio

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

On an inexpensive Android tablet (7" RAPID5 ECO TABLET PC - DUAL-CORE CPU - ANDROID 4.2 JELLY BEAN).  I have found that the battery drains when on standby.  This occurs even with wifi shut off and airplane mode on.  This is a wifi only tablet yet when I look at the battery usage it reports that cell radio has consumed more than 70%, it also notes - 'time without a signal 100%'  Of course it is 100% because this is a wifi only model.  Is there anything that can be done about this?  Is it miss-reporting or is it actually trying for a cell signal that it can never get.

Thanks for any light you guys can shine on this for me.

Edited by Haviland Tuf, 26 February 2014 - 10:57 AM.

Don't Look Back

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:13 AM

Hi,

Lets see here.  I would like you to look for and try some things.  (even if you have done them).

1. Go into Settings and at the bottom under "About Device".  Click it, and give me the following info please
    1. Model Number
    2. Android Version
    3. Base Band Version
    4. Kernel Version
    5. and build number
    6. A list of applications you have installed on your device (PM me if you do not want that info in a post, I will never repost what you send).

Now we will try some things to see what you have done already.

1. Staying in Settings go to Personalization (I think its been awhile since I have used 4.2 so you might have to look a little, but the option are there) or maybe hardware etc.  And go to battery saver mode and make sure it on.
  2. In settings go to Mobile Data (should be at the top of the list) and unclick Mobile Data (if its clicked)
  3. On this same screen hit the right button to big up the menu and uncheck all boxes and recheck Restrict Background Data.
  4. From Here Reboot your device.

From here we need to test it.  Charge your phone to 90% or greater and use it like normal.  Let me know what you new life is. 

For testing purposes please use your tablet before you do the above steps and record the length of time and start and end battery usage.  Then do the above steps and record them as well.

For here we will get a picture of what is running and what is not running, and then what additional steps we can take to stop battery drain issues and the fake connecting.

IMPORTANT

Please give me 24 hrs to respond.  While I am helping you DO NOT change, remove, install or attempt to fix your device.  Keeping with this theme please do NOT use other support sites for help as well or others on this site.  I ask this because if I am troubleshooting your device, and you or someone else keeps changing things then it will never get fixed, we will be chasing our tails.  If you do not want my assistance please let me know, if something changes please update me ASAP with the details and conditions. 

If you have any questions about anything please ask, if you do not understand a step or what I am asking please ask BEFORE you do the step. 

thank you

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:11 AM

Hi Czarboom, thanks for your reply. 

As you requested;

1. Model Number   H7206
  2. Android Version   4.2.2
  3. Base Band Version not listed but Firmware version  v2.0patch1
  4. Kernel Version  3.4.39+
  5. and build number  wing_k70-eng 4.2.2 JDQ39 D08 20130906 test-keys

Apps

Adobe reader

Amazon Kindle

Cabbage

Chrome

Drive

Dropbox

Duolingo

Evernote

Hangouts

Light Browser

Maps

MXplayer

Pocket

Quickoffice

Tunein Radio

Youtube

Since my original post I have made some changes to settings myself.  The good news is the battery is functioning much better and no longer drains beyond normal while on standby.  I think the key was 'Restrict Background Data'.

When I look at battery usage it still states the that cell radio has consumed more than 70%, it also notes - 'time without a signal 100%'  I can only assume that this is just a default report of standby in Android OS.  The is no cell function in this tablet so it makes no sense but the battery is lasting 2-3 days now once charged and with moderate use.

I have checked that I have all the settings configured as you suggested and have powered off the device and restarted to see how it performs.  I will let you know of any changes or issues or indeed improvements.  Again, thank you for your time and assistance.

Don't Look Back

#4 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:29 AM

Thanks,

Overall, battery management can cause the OS to drain the battery faster.  (that is from AT&T tech support... so take it as you will)

I would try the following also if you want to.

1. Make a backup and update your OS to the newest version out there.
  2. Before you do that you could root your tablet, go to dxa-devolpers.com for info on that.
  3. I hate updating my OS, but if you backup all data, (write down your calander apts they sometimes dont save) perform a factory reinstall.  Its under Tools, and options I think its been awhile. 

Either way, when using battery saving just use Wifi and nothing else.  Meaning you dont want WiFi adapter running all the time, just when you turn your tablet on.

Good luck

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#5 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:40 AM

OK, all good tips.  I will try them all.  The battery is performing reasonably well and allows me to use the tablet for 2 - 3 days without charging with admittedly fairly light usage.

Is rooting advised in general?  I did it with a phone once and I am unsure whether it is better or not (low spec sony - rooted to allow upgrade to 4.1).  If you think rooting could make the tablet more efficient I have no problem giving it a go.  Most of my data and apps are easily replaced so a factory reset is no disaster.

Don't Look Back

#6 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

Yes and no. Meaninh depends on what you want to do with the tablet and what yiu currently do with it. Also what ROM you use. All things being equal have more control over your system can be a great thing. If you know what you are doing.
But, is it better... ask AT&T and they will say it makes it a lot less safer. I call BS on that. Why? Because if I dont use a app, I am not going to update it... if I am Root I can delete it. So overall having the ability to see what is sending and receiving and to get rid of the crap that slows you down is better than thinking the manufacturer is keeping you safe...
CZARBOOM 

#7 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:51 AM

OK, that all sounds good to me.  I will run with the tablet for a few weeks as is.  I mostly use it for web browsing, duolingo and email only so it is not all that important.  I would like to get rid of some of the preinstalled apps and so rooting would be the way to go.  I'll then try it for a few weeks after rooting and see if I can notice and performance improvement and report back here in case anyone looks up this thread in the future looking for similar problems.

Thanks for the advice and help, much appreciated.

Don't Look Back

#8 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:05 AM

anytime, good luck and remember backup and know what you are doing before root.... there are 1000s of posts of failed roots.  Just FYI.

Good luck

CZARBOOM 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users