Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video files not showing up when camera connected to computer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tftfpaige

Tftfpaige

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

Hi guys. I'm sorry if this is under the wrong category or anything. I have a good knowledge to computers but not a ton. It's my first time posting to a fourm for help, since I couldn't find help elsewhere.

I have to edit some videos for school, but there's a problem. Whenever I hook the camera to the computer and go through all the files, the videos aren't there, only images. I even tried it with a memory card reader, and no luck. However, I am able to watch them from the camera, so I know there's no way that they're not on the memory card. I spent an hour looking through all my files for them, but I can't find them! What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

Video files are quite large...they should be downloaded/moved to the hard drive for editing, using appropriate software for that purpose.

Louis

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

First of all, welcome to BC !

Louis is absolutely right when he says editing of files like this is best done on a computer, at least in part because of their size !  Your problem as I understand it is you can't find them. How are you looking for them ?

I have always found that the simplest - and quickest - way to get images etc. out of a camera is to take the card out and either plug it directly into a computer or use a card reader if the computer does not have a card slot. I then use Windows Explorer to move and organise images and clips.

Windows Explorer is designed as a file management utility and is built into Windows and has been for years. Start by plugging the memory card into whatever computer you are using. To start Windows Explorer: in 8 and 8.1, get to the desktop and you will find an icon on the taskbar; in 7, and I think Vista, there is an icon on the taskbar; or, in any version from 95 to 7, RIGHT click on the Start button, then click on Explore. By default, in Windows Explorer, you can see all files except some 'hidden' system files, so you should be able to see all the files on your memory card. Then just move them to your hard drive. I usually use 'drag-and-drop'. You can pprobably now see why , when you post, some information on the system you are using is useful !

The possibility exists that your camera produces files in some format that Windows Media Player cannot play. I can recommend the VLC media player to you - there is very little it cannot play, it's free, and it is not a big download !  You can get it here :

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Video editing is very much a matter of what works for you. I use Serif's MoviePlus but there are plenty of other choices out there, some free. Like everything else, you pay your money and you take your choice.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

I hope this is helpful. For comparison and curiosity: I am Win 7, laptop computer, Sony compact camera which takes High Definition AVCHD files. No problems uploading these to my computer when connecting the camera directly and using the 'Play Memories Home'software which originally came with the camera. All picture and video files are visible and download to 'My Pictures.' From there I transfer the video files to 'Videos'.

Using a card reader or the sd card slot in the computer works differently. Picture files and video files appear in separate folders which might explain why it seems that the video files seem to have disappeared. This is what I did to test how the card reader works:
Open card reader > 4 folders appear. DCIM is where all the photo images are. (Then 2 folders which are empty and not relevant.) Then a folder named 'PRIVATE' > Opens up to show 2 folders; AVCHD which contains the video files and Sony which is empty. Click AVCHD and another folder appears named BDMV > opens to a dropdown with sub-folders. Click 'STREAM'. Here they are! Videos! Now to copy them to the computer:
Highlite 'STREAM'> Right click > in dropdown click 'copy'. Libraries folders are visible on the left hand side of the computer screen > click 'Videos' > paste. Bingo! All the videos now reside here in a folder titled 'STREAM' which ofcourse can be re-named etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users