Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

deleted registry file - now my pc doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 R3K

R3K

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:46 AM

hi guys i'm posting this from my slow, virus-infected old comp so 'm gonna try and make this short and simple.

i  basically was trying to make a minecraft server on my main comp (windows 7).  i got to a point where i needed to open the command prompt.  i tried and it only flashed open for a brief second, then seemed to fail.  i follwed some tutorial online about it that said to go into regedit, then [hkey_local_machine_software/policies/microsoft] and then to delete the mircrosoft file.  i attempted to do this for some reason, and got a messagethat said it couldn't delete it.  so i said meh and was about to give up.  i went to open some random program and gt this message "illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion"

i tried another program and got the same message.  so i restarted, and pc went to bluescreen.  tried F8 on another restart attempt and tried safemode and windows repair, even restore mode, but it either locks up or bluescreens.  i don't have a boot disk on hand.  any advice is appreciated, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:53 AM

Hi

You need to do an offline system restore to a date prior to this happened. To do that either a "Windows 7" install DVD or a "System repair disc" is needed. You can create a "System repair" disk from another working machine ( may be a friend's or neighbor's machine ). 

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

Once the disc is created, perform "System restore".

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 26 February 2014 - 05:54 AM.

#3 R3K

R3K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:03 AM

brief update (i am typing on my friend's microscopic 24" monitor so i might make some typos): 

we copied a windows 7 prog onto a flash drive but had probe getting into bios to change the boot options to boot from the flash. finally managed to get it to recognize, then it seemed to allow us to try and restore-point action but only for C drive, and the "next" option was grayed out. we assumed this meant that some entity involved in the process believes that windows is installed on the D drive and isn't allowing the restore process to continue. 

please advise on next move. we don't have capability to burn windows to a cd because scott's comp is a mac and we can't get the disks formatted correctly.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:05 AM

Macs can burn ISO files to DVD no problem. http://lifehacker.com/251758/mac-tip--how-to-burn-an-iso-or-dmg-file-to-disc

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:05 AM

finally managed to get it to recognize, then it seemed to allow us to try and restore-point action but only for C drive, and the "next" option was grayed out.

Please clarify. Are you saying there is no "System Restore"  points available ?.

You will available "Restore Points" like this :

system-restore.png

#6 R3K

R3K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

finally managed to get it to recognize, then it seemed to allow us to try and restore-point action but only for C drive, and the "next" option was grayed out.

Please clarify. Are you saying there is no "System Restore"  points available ?.

You will available "Restore Points" like this :

system-restore.png

we got to that point, my friend mostly... but when we selected the next option it went to a screen that listed C: drive whatever, and the "next" key on that screen was grayed out.  it wouldn't let us proceed because it thinks that windows is on D: drive for some reason.  

i'll have another update tonight on the sit, the thing is almost solely in my friend's hands and i don't know where he is right now.  he believes it has something to do with the Gigabyte brand motherboard not recognizing the iPod adapter thing properly, and that's somehow preventing him from moving forward.  he also thinks there is too much damage done to the registry to fix the situation entirely.  i even promoted the "nuclear" windows reinstall option and he said he can't even do that because of the registry/motherboard probs.  

he told me this doesn't work :(

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

Hi

To burn ISO files, please try this app -http://www.discoapp.com/

i even promoted the "nuclear" windows reinstall option and he said he can't even do that because of the registry/motherboard probs.  

A registry issue has nothing to do with Windows clean install and i don't think your MoBo is faulty. Make sure you are plugging the USB flash drive to a USB 2.0 port. Windows 7 won't support USB 3.0 out of box.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

You can lead a horse to water But!!!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users