Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

...and electronically impaired at best!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 islandtimeonly

islandtimeonly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:28 AM

Not to mention technically disinclined, so it's a slowww road to task completion in any form!  A friend sent my this way, who's actually a professional.  Yes, we all know one or two, but he actually misses the simpler days of his career:  answering "technical" questions online!!   The "quotes" are in reference to the fact that, in many cases, that's sort of a laugh when the questions come in at MY level of inquiry!  As for any sort of intro beyond that... it's me, the computers, and the cat!  The kid grew up and moved out a few years ago!  I'm still trying to master Word Perfect.  I can remember the first version.  Those dorky over-the-keyboard hints... remember?  The plastic thing you laid over your keyboard that had the words listed like "caps" and such?  And the other keys one had to hit in conjunction with/in order to...   I think by the time I got my hands on one everyone else had mastered it... or given up till a few years down the road...  I'm hoping to finally master it once and for all.  The hunt and peck gets old, just as old as dealing with the techno-devils still trying to screw up our computers, privacy and connections.  And one cannot be sending letters and creating documents to share with the world wide web and one's SENATOR OR CONGRESSMAN OR PRESIDENT to make requests for changes in government at the pace I function and on a computer you are not confident is safe!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:40 AM

Hi, I'm Zestypanda! One of the helpful bleepers here to assist you in solving your computer woes. ~Zestypanda

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#3 islandtimeonly

islandtimeonly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:36 AM

SURPRISE!  Didn't expect a response, to tell you the truth.  Always pays to make people laugh!  Thank you though!  I do have a silly question:  I'm in the process of ditching a few odd safety options in exchange for another set.  I have a friend who's a professional, and I let the one I left know that it was nothing personal, and offered to give them the list of techies who'd replaced them, as they seemed honorable and it helps to know.  What do you suppose are the odds,  A/they'll even read it, B/if they do, they'll not be or be offended, C/they'll respond with an honest inquiry?  They were referred by Firefox, so they can't be all bad!

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:08 AM

Hi -

Have you survered the areas of the forum to find one that may suit your questions ??

If in doubt, always post under your Operating System section of the forum (XP / Vista / Windows 7/ ETC)

Welcome -

#5 islandtimeonly

islandtimeonly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

Thank You!

I am at the "let's wait and see" stage.  I'm hoping that e will work right now.  This is my laptop not my PC, and it's freaking out on e, and acts like it's going to crash.  I turn it off in a panic, and wait a few and turn it back on.  After I'm sure I've run EVERYTHING that I've added for safety, I'll see if it works correctly.  Firefox is my main brower, then Chrome, and e comes last.  I love the calendar, predominantly.  I have a small camera on my PC that is added, not part of the screen, and it works nicely.  But on my laptop the camera is built in, so I'm not sure whether or not I'll bother to tie in with live.com so much.  I went on faith and let the latest, SpywareBlaster (I think I got it right) do it's run and it terrified me with the list of deletions it suggested!  I literally clenched my teeth as I clicked on the button to... cancel or whatever.  Block.  All but shuddering in terror.  Logged onto Primewire expecting the screen to go blank with a big red "dirty page" insignia all across the screen!  Nope, watched my shows as usual.  I've got something called NoScript on Firefox, which allows you to temporarily allow selected, in addition to Ghostery which isn't as thorough.  But each one does a pretty good job of the basics.  Something nice about SpywareBlaster, is the simple fact that it addresses ALL of the different types of connections, firefox/e/chrome etc., all in one simple page.   Ahhhhh, so nice!

Now it's five am and I'm burnt...

Good Night!

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

Hi -
Just work out if your problem Operating System is XP (any version) or if it is Windows Vista or if it is Windows 7 even a Windows 8  area and post any problems to those areas.

There are also forum areas that cover Apple Mac systems and Linux and Unix systems

So the forum has you covered for any system and virtually any problem.

You will always find someone to help you in any of those areas -  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users