Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows copy not valid?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

I've replaced my Computer's Hard drive with a used one from a computer that My dad got from a yard sale a while back.

The Hard drive had an admin password that was unknown to me, and it had been so long that Dad didn't remember how to contact the original owner.

After managing to reset the password, the computer told me that the windows copy was not genuine.

I wasn't sure whether this was caused by resetting the password, or if the drive had this problem from the beginning, but in any case after performing all the needed updates the messages stopped for a while

However, recently  the notifications have started up again.

Is there any way to fix this without buying a new copy of Windows 7?

Also, Is there any way to restore programs from the Windows.old folder?

Edited by Jdaniel314, 25 February 2014 - 10:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

When you replaced the hard drive did you reinstall Windows?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

Ok, simple reason, the hard drive you put in the computer had windows, when you swapped the hard drive windows un activated because too much of the hardware was different, boom! Solution:wipe and reload, do you really want their old documents, pics, browsing history, videos, programs and possible viruses? No, so I suggest you buy an OEM copy from frys or amazon and reload.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#4 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

When you replaced the hard drive did you reinstall Windows?

No sir, I did not.

Should I have?

I hope not, because I don't have a copy of windows or the spare $100 to buy one.

What do you think my odds are of getting a validation through customer service?

Ok, simple reason, the hard drive you put in the computer had windows, when you swapped the hard drive windows un activated because too much of the hardware was different, boom! Solution: wipe and reload, do you really want their old documents, pics, browsing history, videos, programs and possible viruses? No, so I suggest you buy an OEM copy from frys or amazon and reload.

I'm actually a bit worried that that the Program that I used to reset the password may have caused this, as it looks like most, if not all of the previous account and associated games, programs etc. got placed into the Windows.old folder. 

And I was kind of hoping that there was a way to restore some of the programs from the Windows.old folder, as there are some fairly good games and programs in there that were actually one of the reasons Dad ended up buying the Computer that I got the HDD from.

As to the question of possible viruses, this hard drive had been inactive from 2011 until it was placed into the computer, and as soon as I was able to get in I ran full scans in safe mode with networking using Avira, Malwarebytes and Superantispyware none of which found any malicious files, exept for the few dozen cookies that SuperAntiSpyware deleted.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

What do you think my odds are of getting a validation through customer service?

Quite good if all you have done is replace the hard drive AND you had a valid install of Windows in the first place. Even if you cannot lay your hands on the original Windows install disc so long as you have the original authentication serial ( COA ) you can use any Windows installation disc of the same type - Home, Professional, whatever - and your original authentication serial. But you will have to do a Windows re-install, and you will have to re-install any applications you want to run.

You can recover data out of the Windows.old folder, but - I am open to correction here - you cannot re-install applications from this folder. but, as Zestypanda at #4 said, you might as well wipe the drive and do a clean install.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

Dad ended up buying the Computer that I got the HDD

The computer the hard drive came out of Is it the same manufacture/brand? Does your computer have a COA (license key) sticker?

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

I found a way activate windows successfully, thank you everybody for your help. :)

#8 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:49 AM

Did you use a legal and authorised method? Or did you jut use a "loader"?

Edited by Zestypanda, 28 February 2014 - 01:49 AM.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

"loader" AKA DVD rom drive  :police:

Chad Mockensturm 

#10 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

Let's just say I input the correct Authorization key for this particular copy of Windows.

As to how I got that key...

I plead the fifth.

:whistle:

Edited by Jdaniel314, 01 March 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#11 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

Ehhhhhhhhhh, I'm not your moral conscience but I'm gonna put this here http://www.frys.com/product/6587543 the price is 4 times cheaper than a ps4, or five times cheaper than an Xbox one. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users