Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to load pre-installed Windows 8 onto new SSD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bcommercial

Bcommercial

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

Hi Guys

I have ordered a brand new Acer Aspire V3-772G-747  i7-4702mQ 8Gb Ram 750 Gb HDD with Windows 8 pre-installed (and I'm assuming no disks) and an SSD "Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB" to install in the 2nd bay [along with an extra 16Gb Ram upgrade (for total 24Gb .. there sure better be 4 Ram slots inside! :)].

I've been googling for days now as to how best to get the brand new unused Windows 8 off the HDD and onto the SSD and keep the HDD just for data, but am seeing evermore conflicting infos and am more confused than ever. Maybe I'm creating a mountain out of a molehill here but the information overload has just got too much for me alone so I'm in need of some good advice.
I had assumed (& still hope) that in the event that your HDD at some point completely dies (a not uncommon event) that you could use the Recovery disks you've created yourself (assuming Windows came pre-installed without any disks) to re-install your fully paid for and licensed Windows version back onto the new replacement HDD. However, I've gotten the
impression from various forums that this may not in fact be the case, and that your Recovery disks are not sufficient for a full fresh install and only meant for "fixing" a corrupted Windows back onto the original HDD on which it came installed...but if that's so then what happens if the HDD is completely "DEAD"? ...

...I've heard some posting about the need to download a Windows iso file from "somewhere" (but apparantly NOT from the MS website as they don't provide this I've heard), and somewhow use this in conjunction with your licence keycode (which may or may not be hidden & inbedded in your bios...Jeez!) to effect a fresh install ..all very confusing for me who like others has payed for a legal full Windows version but then is frustrated trying to get it onto the SSD where I want it. If the Windows licence is tied to the Motherboard then MS should really make it a doddle to install it onto any replacement
HDD. I certainly hope I'm not being unfair to MS here as I haven't even started the process yet and it may indeed turn out to be quite easy, but from my research so far I'm thinking it could get complicated.

I've also heard about migrating or cloning an image of the OS on the original HDD onto a new SSD with disk imaging software that often comes with the new SSD's or is otherwise available online eg Acronis, but also that it is not the preferred option and that a full fresh install is best.  So since it is a brand new unused machine I'd definitely prefer the more lenghty but superior option of installing a fresh install onto the new SSD if at all possible.

So until I get posession of my new laptop and start trying out all this stuff for myself my main question is...

...Is it possible to create Recovery disk(s) immediately upon running the new laptop for the first time and then use these recovery disks to do a full fresh install of  Windows 8 onto the new SSD instead, and if everything's running smoothly then wipe the original HDD using it for data only while running Windows & booting from the SSD?

A concern is that I might do something which would bar me from activating my windows 8 properly afterwards (or worse!), and then there's the issue of when to attempt the upgrade to 8.1 (I'd imagine after the successful install onto SSD, fingers crossed).

All opinions gratefully received and I'll be updating of course as soon as I learn more and/or get the laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

Cloning the disk with something like either CloneZilla or Acronis is definitely the best way of transferring the OS onto a new disk. They have logical partition options that can automatically adjust the partition sizes between the disk images and are very easy to use.I have done it before on new machines. It works. As to it not being best?... best for what I am not sure. A clone is a clone.

Then once you have activated your OS and started your OS for the first time, and performed the relevant updates, create a "system image", as well as a "recovery disk". These will give the ability to do a full fresh install from disk, should your hard drive become damaged at any time.

Don't worry about wrecking your install code... just make sure everything is working dandy on your new SSD and that your system images are in order, before changing any data on your old (original) disk.

:busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users