Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using MS Virtual PC 2007 in Win 7 Pro. Is it a safer VB option until I add a new

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 windummy

windummy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

(NOTE: Sorry about my Forum Question being too long to fit. Here it is in full to this post:

Using MS Virtual PC 2007 in Win 7 Pro. Is it a safer VB option until I add a new machine to replace XP that runs Win7 for internet?)

Greetings BC Community:

In another words, I have two separate PC’s running through a x4 port KVM (leaving two ports wide open for more machines).

Machine #1:

This is my current Acer PC running Win XP Pro/32 with its own flat screen monitor. It’s also my business pc for internet using FF. It’s also where all my 32-Bit hardware devices are still hooked up to (alleviating the driver hassles of trying to network them into the second machine running Win 7Pro/64 thanks to the KVM option which solved that whole problem).

Machine #2:

This is my customized PC for DAW running a specifically optimized and highly tweaked version of Win 7 Pro/64 as my main platform for my work in music and digital studio recording. For the uninitiated:

DAW= Digital Audio Workstation. A term usually used to describe a PC or a Macintosh Computer that is used primarily for Music Creation and Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Audio Files. Found in many Home studios as well as Professional Recording Facilities.

With a DAW PC, we use only software tools to create music. Therefore, we have no need to ever introduce this platform to the internet at all. Nor are we to ever bother with updates for Win 7 ever. It’s a totally isolated machine dedicated to only creating and recording music along with MIDI interfacing and VST type Plug-ins better known as “soft synth” to generate keyboard synthesizers to play and record via MIDI, etc.

However, in recent years, advancements with Virtual PC’s allow us DAW users to still access the internet in order to download Plug-ins a/o music software updates, etc. Even check email if we want (if in a jam). Once we close or X out the browser, we are once again isolated. I’ve been using this Virtual PC they gave me running XP since 2012 with no problems.

So, in conclusion, I’ve decided to keep Machine #1. running XP Pro/32 and disconnect it from the internet forever. Until I find a third machine running Win 7, I’ll rely on the Virtual browser in the DAW PC running Win 7 Pro/64 right now.

I also was using a Linksys E1200 Wireless- N Router. But, the Verizon guy recently disconnected it when I switched back to them after deciding to leave Time Warner Cable. He understood my DAW set up and declared I didn’t need it with their modem:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=254121&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CL7_uL_P6LwCFWUOOgodSV4ABA

I think I need to re-activate that router again before April 8, 2014. What do you guys think about all this? I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts a/o further recommendations.

Thanks!

Re,

/MH~

Edited by windummy, 25 February 2014 - 08:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

I would have a look at VirtualBox which is free and easy to setup.

www.virtualbox.org

#3 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

I would have a look at VirtualBox which is free and easy to setup.

www.virtualbox.org

@ cryptodan:

Thanks for stopping by regarding my latest post about this.

I'll take a look at your suggested link and report back to you.

Thanks!

Re,

/MH~

Edited by windummy, 25 February 2014 - 08:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users