Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen and 2 Beeps

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BobLizPatt

BobLizPatt

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop with Windows Vista and 1GB RAM. When it powers up it shows a black screen that never does anything but stay black. About every 10-12 seconds I hear 2 beeps, then the computer refreshes with the blue LED lights across the top of the keyboard. This process repeats itself until I turn off the laptop. The computer was working fine, then I left for a week and when I came back, this is what I found. The laptop has not been used while I was away. I have no idea what to do. I appreciate any assistance provided.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BobLizPatt

BobLizPatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

My apologies.... this laptop has 2GB RAM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

The dv6000/9000 series have been very problematic. There was even a class action suit regarding the graphics chip overheating. Here is a good page. Other then reflowing the graphics chip, you might want to try the fix written by Scrutinizer714.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

2 beeps, this usually means a problem with either the memory or the motherboard.

First step is to try a known good RAM card. 2nd is to reset the BIOS... Could just be that it is old and buggered, this happens you know.

Here's a fairly detailed page on it (well the troubleshooter is detailed anyway).

Good luck

Edited by TsVk!, 25 February 2014 - 11:24 PM.

#5 BobLizPatt

BobLizPatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

Ok, so I tried the fix recommended by scrutinizer714 and it did not do anything different. Reflowing the graphics card is way beyond my capability. I tried a known good RAM card and it did not do anything different. I don't know how to reset the BIOS when I can't get anything but a black screen from the moment I power on the laptop. I'm a very patient person so I will be glad to try anything. Thanks for the responses and any additional recommendations.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

Attach an external monitor to the laptop if available. If that does not work and you need the data off the drive, you can put it in another computer and if that is not an option because no desktop is available, use either a USB enclosure or USB adapter.

#7 BobLizPatt

BobLizPatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:11 AM

I attached the laptop to an external monitor using a VGA cable, but got nothing. One thing I have noticed is that the LED light for the hard drive does not light up after the initial power up. When the laptop is first powered on, the hard drive LED light will flash on for a millisecond and then goes off; after that, the LED does not light up at all. I wonder if this is an issue or is just normal activity for the problem I am experiencing. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users