Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive spins up, the heads click a few times, then drive spins down

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mattsowders1989

mattsowders1989

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

I have a Maxtor 500gb SATA hard drive (STM3500320AS). Drive was manufactured in 2008. Drive was functioning just fine until one day i fired it up and it spun up clicked a few times then spun down. im very computer savy, but not too much with diagnosing hardware issues with HHD's (with the exception of sector and block issues). The data is vital. Yes yes, should have been in a raid array. but wasn't my hard drive or setup. any info would be great. hard drive will not stay up long enough for me to see if data is accesible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

Sorry to say but a clicking hard drive that does not spin up is going to need a professional data recovery service that has access to a clean room. Needless to say, this is very expensive. Your decision will need to be based on how important the data is.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

Hello, sad to hear about your hard drive issue.

There is a possibility that you can still retrieve some data from your hard drive. If this works, try obtaining the most you can and don't shut down or restart the computer until all data has been removed.

You can connect the hard drive as a SLAVE drive (SATA 1) on a computer with a MASTER hard drive (SATA 0) that holds the bootable OS.

Hopefully, you will be able to access the hard drive through the MY COMPUTER directory.

If attempt number one fails, try putting your ailing hard drive in a freezer for a night and on the next day, attached it as a SLAVE drive (SATA 1) and hopefully, the drive will allow you access to your data.

If this fails, your only course of action is either send the drive out and have it professionally done or you if have a spear SATA drive handy with the same controller board, you could switch platters from one drive to the other, however, I must warn you, dust will with no doubt, get into your undamaged drive and could cause damage to the platters of the working drive. Do this ONLY if you wish to take that risk.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 mattsowders1989

mattsowders1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

ok. i dont guess you guys fully understand. when the hard drive powers up (or computer), the drive spins up to do a POST. right after, the drive spins down. their is NO time for it to be seen by windows, linux, etc.. i feel that it may be a power problem.

#5 mattsowders1989

mattsowders1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

and the hard drive holds no OS. it is a drive that JUST holds data

#6 mattsowders1989

mattsowders1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

@Mbruce1959: My Computer refers to to pre: win2000. this is a hardware issue with the drive. the drive does spin up, but the whole up time is about 20 seconds from power on by the computer its self

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

There is a possibility that you can still retrieve some data from your hard drive. If this works, try obtaining the most you can and don't shut down or restart the computer until all data has been removed.

You can connect the hard drive as a SLAVE drive (SATA 1) on a computer with a MASTER hard drive (SATA 0) that holds the bootable OS.

Hopefully, you will be able to access the hard drive through the MY COMPUTER directory.

If attempt number one fails, try putting your ailing hard drive in a freezer for a night and on the next day, attached it as a SLAVE drive (SATA 1) and hopefully, the drive will allow you access to your data.

If this fails, your only course of action is either send the drive out and have it professionally done or you if have a spear SATA drive handy with the same controller board, you could switch platters from one drive to the other, however, I must warn you, dust will with no doubt, get into your undamaged drive and could cause damage to the platters of the working drive. Do this ONLY if you wish to take that risk.

Bruce.

In a bag first then in freezer.

#8 mattsowders1989

mattsowders1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

Bruce.

In a bag first then in freezer.

ive done the freezer trick before. ill try it out and let ya know

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

The drive is having hardware issues so it will power down. Don't open the drive that will certainly kill it exposing it to the elements. If you got small enough torx bit that will fit the screws try giving them a turn as sometimes one of those screws also tightens down the actuator arm. Freezer trick will kill it for sure. If the data is really important then send it to a lab for recovery. Don't open the drive either.

Edited by technonymous, 26 February 2014 - 04:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users