Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio won't boot all the way

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 bacchusman

bacchusman

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:33 PM

I have a Sony Vaio S Series Laptop running Windows 7.  It's been running well.  Then today I started up and got a black screen after the Bios logo screen.  Nothing more happened.  So I forced shutdown and tried to reboot.  I got to the password page and my password wouldn't work.  So I tried the previous password (from 6 months ago) and that got me to my desktop, but the system only partially loaded (for example, Yahoo Messenger, which starts up while booting, would not completely load).  Most frustrating, however, is that the cursor freezes in the middle of the screen.  I tested the mouse, using my other computer, and it works fine.

I have tried booting the computer in every other mode (safe, etc.) many times and I get no farther than with the normal boot.

So I'm locked out and can do nothing.  I looked at Command mode but I'm not savvy enuf to know what to do there.

Help, please!!

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

If you do not have an install disk, you can download the legal iso here. Burn the iso with Imgburn or other software that can burn an iso image. Boot the install disk and do a system starup  repair. If you need the data right away, you can download puppy linux and use that to transfer any important data to an external USB drive. If you have restore points and decide to do a system restore be advised that anything that you placed on the desktop after the resore point will be lost.

If you want to go the Puppy linux route let me know and I can give some links that will help explain the process.

#3 bacchusman

bacchusman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

Okay, downloaded the 64bit iso, burned it on a dvd with Imgburn and placed the dvd in the ill computer.  Not having any luck.  I can get to the "startup repair" choice without the disk and have tried it several times, both using the disk or using the computer itself (getting there by tapping F8 as the computer comes on). 

Alas, nothing has changed.  I'm still where I was as described in my initial message.

#4 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Have you ran a hardware diagnostic to check that your hard drives health is good? I would check up on that first http://www.pchelpforum.com/resources/how-to-run-the-vaio-hardware-diagnostics-using-vaio-care-or-f10.92/

Follow the second half of that guide. (F10)

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

I'm sorry. I misunderstood your first post as you said you only got as far as a partial normal mode so I thought safe mode was not an option. So by pushing F8 you can access safemode and your files or are you only able to access the repair option?

#6 bacchusman

bacchusman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

Ran the diagnostic on the CPU and the HDD.  All CPU tests produced "OK."  HDD test resulted in "No errors detected," so the problem must lie elsewhere.

#7 bacchusman

bacchusman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

John, whatever mode I choose (other than Command Prompt") I get to the desktop appearing and then everything freezes and I can't move the cursor.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

Change the boot menu in the bios to your CD drive, that should get you to where you can start the CD.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 bacchusman

bacchusman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Phil, I used the ISO DVD to try and boot (was able to choose "press any key to boot from CD"), but the results are the same.  I get to disk repair and get nowhere.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

If your Windows 7 is SP1 which is what you downloaded, you can try using sfc /scannow in a command window. It will try to repair any corrupt files

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

Phil, I used the ISO DVD to try and boot (was able to choose "press any key to boot from CD"), but the results are the same.  I get to disk repair and get nowhere.

Did you type "R" and hit enter?

#12 bacchusman

bacchusman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

John, I ran the sfc/scannow command.  When it finished I received this description: 

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.  Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Log\CBS\CBS.log.  For example C:Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

I then rebooted the computer and as it loaded it said Windows was updating 1014 files, which it did.  Then when the desktop came on several message boxes appearred in the middle of the screen, more rapidly than I could read them, so don't know what they said.

Alas, the end result is that nothing's changed.  Frozen desktop, unable to move cursor.

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

You need to get the disk repair to work, if you can not do that then a clean install will be necessary.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

I would do the puppy linux option to tranfer your important files to an external drive and then do a chkdsk on the drive. It may be a problem with the hard drive itself.

Or you can connect the drive to another computer and transfer the files. The option is up yo you.

#15 bacchusman

bacchusman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

Phil, okay, used the ISO disk again, typed R and hit enter.  I got to "Windows Setup"  "EMS Enabled."  Then ended at disk repair, ran it 3 times, and received the same results--nothing seems to have changed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users