Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall will not start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ed III

Ed III

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

Gave up trying to fix this myself and am here for some Professional help.

System XP SP3

When I try to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service I receive the Error 1068: The Dependency Service or Group failed to start.

I ran the Malwarebytes Rootkit checker, which found one malware, which was cleaned and I use the NETSH FIREWALL RESET command in the Run box and it still will not start.

Any input would be appreciated, Thanks, Ed

Edited by hamluis, 25 February 2014 - 06:01 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

try open... services.msc in "run" box  check the services you want to run are set to 'automatic."

if disabled right click on the setting and click properties  change the setting to automatic

#3 Ed III

Ed III
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

HiYa John,

the service for Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service is set to automatic; however, it does not start up when I boot up and when I go to services and click Start it gives me the error message I indicated in my intial post.

Ed

#4 Ed III

Ed III
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

John, ran across a Microsoft article on the Error 1068: The Dependency Service or Group failed to start and it gave me a list of services that neede to be on. Three of those were off, so I started them; no change. However, I also started ASP.NET, COM+ SYST Application, and DNS Client and that did the trick; the Firewall started. So it was one of those threee that did it.

No worries from now on, thanks, ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users