Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome Resource Hog

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

I find frequently that it takes ages to log in to Chrome, and then to Yahoo Mail, and sometimes the system seems to come to a complete halt.  I regularly clear browsing data and use CCleaner without any great success. Recently I installed Advance System Care and this displays a little screen showing my CPU and RAM usage.  The latter often gets to almost 100% when I am logging in.  This prompted me to open the Task Manager and observe what processes are the most demanding.  Very obvious at the most hungry end are the several chrome.exe files which in total account for several hundred MB.

Mine is an old PC running XP with 1 GB ram and a Sempron 2800+ processor.  Is this just incompatible with using a modern browser such as Chrome, even before I go to the "luxury" of opening several different tabs???  Or is my instance of Chrome somehow being too greedy???

I do of course have other applications in my Start Menu but as far as I can tell none that are that hungry.

As I write this with Yahoo Mail in the other open tab RAM usage has settled to around 70% and CPU at just 5%.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

You've already pointed in the right direction. Your PC is old. You've only got 1GB of RAM. Microsoft is ending XP support in April. It's time to put it out to pasture. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users