Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Rid Of My Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:07 PM

when i click on something and delete it then go to the recycle bin and delete it does that completley erase it from my computer? because i am thinking about getting rid of my computer but i dont want someone to bring my stuff back from the dead :thumbsup: .
thanks for all the help :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:13 PM

One thing you can do is remove the hard drive and keep it, it is not a good thing to let someone else have a computer with a working OS on it. You can always put the old hard drive into a new computer as a second drive and format it and use it for anything you wish, storage, Installing programs to, saving all of your datea to it, etc. Or you can destroy it if you wish but that is a waste of a good hard drive.

If you are jsut going to toss your old computer take a look for a non-profit org like Computers for Children that we have in out area - they fix old computers up and donate them to children free of charge. It is tax deductable also.

Have a good one.

#3 Tim64

Tim64

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:05 AM

I think you may be lookging for something like this? click here. Word of warning. If you use this it will forsure delete Everything from your hard drive. You will forsure not be able to recover anything!!

Edited by Tim64, 14 May 2006 - 12:06 AM.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:08 AM

Actually, taking out the hard drive is a waste of an otherwise perfectly good operating system, which can legally be transferred to a new owner. The best thing to do would be to format the hard drive and re-install Windows from scratch. Re-activate it. If you're particularly concerned about data, you can do a complete disk wipe with something like Darik's Boot and Nuke, then re-install. If your computer has a restore partition, this could be a little hairier - you wouldn't want to mess up the restore partition accidentally. Unless you're worried that the CIA is planning on checking you out, a simple clean install would be sufficient.

#5 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:35 AM

ok then-thanks so much

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:23 AM

It would be easy for someone to steal your identity or other password and financial information regarding you if you simply format and reinstall the OS. If someone knows what they are doing, they can recover much info from a reformatted computer. This is why criminals are purchasing used computers on Ebay for $50 or some other low dollar amount, because they will recover data that the old owner thinks is gone.

I suggest a stronger method of data destruction, such as running KILLDISK before reinstalling the OS. If you would like more info on this:

You can run Killdisk to delete everything including any infections. This is a free progam and can be downloaded HERE. Put the program on a floppy disk or a CD.

Then run a DOS disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk, when the computer boots to DOS, type "C:" (without the quotes), push ENTER. Then type "fdisk" (without the quotes), push ENTER, then just push ENTER at each selection that you are prompted to make (in other words, just accept all defaults). You can download what you need HERE.

Then reboot with your XP CD in the cd drive and reinstall Windows, being sure to choose "Full Format" instead of quick format when prompted.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 setasdefault

setasdefault

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:43 AM

If I were you, I'd format the disk and not install Windows. Then I'd get my new pc, install Windows on that one's HD, and take a hammer and a magnet to the old one.

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:07 AM

If I were you, I'd format the disk and not install Windows. Then I'd get my new pc, install Windows on that one's HD, and take a hammer and a magnet to the old one.

using a hammer is probably the best way to permanently destroy data, that's for sure!

But moving the OS to a new computer may violate the EULA and my not be legal.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:51 PM

The answer to your question of course depends on what you intend to do with the old computer, and just how sensitive the data on that HD really is.

If you're going to send it to the dump (landfill) then you had just as well use KillDisk or some such wiping program on it. Or even better, remove the hard drive and use it for target practice or sledge hammer practice.
Only if you literally beat it to death, can you be assured that no-one can ever reclaim anything off of it.
Then bury it in your back yard. :thumbsup:

If you're just going to give it to a friend or to a student, deleting all your data off of it and doing a Defrag would be sufficient. The defrag will write good data over what you've deleted.

Let's just say that I had some data on a system that I wanted to give away to a student (for instance)
I'd delete everything off of the HD that I wanted GONE and remove my name, etc. in the registry.
Then I'd make a Ghost Image of what remained to a second HD or DVD. Then I'd use killdisk or Disk Eraser (from OnTrack) to clean the HD's surface. Then I'd re- FDISK and format the HD, setting up my partitions and verifying the disks surface to receive data. Then I'd restore my Ghost Image to the C: partition.
That would pretty much assure that no residual data remained.
This whole process would usually take less than an hour (or two) and I'd not have to worry about my old data ever falling into the 'wrong' hands. And I'd know that I have a nice clean and stable hard drive.
(Ghost, backs up only active files,,,,not deleted files. It backs up files exactly as you would see them in Windows Explorer.)

To prevent things from ever going into your Recycle bin, hold down your left Shift key when you click Delete from the context menu, while pointing to the file or folder to be deleted. That will permanently delete the file and it will NOT go into the Recycle Bin.

In another forum we had a gentleman who had worked for the CIA. We had this conversation and he told the poster, "sell your PC in a yard sale and let me get ahold of it and I'll RUIN YOUR DAY".
I don't think I have to tell you what he meant by that.

Even when you think you've totally deleted a file from your HD, there's a Ghost Image of it left there that some very sophisticated machinery can recover.

This problem will rear its ugly head again in reference to data disks that we make for backups.
To absolutely eliminate the possiblility of any of my data backup CD's from ever getting into the wrong hands, I went to "Staples Office Supply" Store and got me a CD Shredder. It's a Cross-Cut Shredder and makes tiny little pieces out of a CD or credit card. DATA GONE!

The day I brought it home, I shredded over a hundred old CD's. Boy, that was fun! :flowers:
As for my old ZIP disks, I beat them to death with a Ball-Peen hammer. Then burned them!

Good Luck to ya,
The Shadow :trumpet:

Edited by The Shadow, 14 May 2006 - 01:14 PM.

For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#10 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:32 PM

from my understanding unless physical damage occurs to the disk
info can be recovered by various means, from a simple
un-delete program to reading data by electron microscope
(the software can be gotten for free, the E.M. is a "little" more)
a wipe utility that overwrites the entire disk 2-3 times should
suffice for most non-gov/mil drives as only they would have the
abilitys to recover data past that. from what I've read.
the last time I reformated this drive I used Dban first, it gives you
several options on how paranoid you want to be and will wipe
the entire disk ,you will need to reformat your drive afterwards.
it took about 2hrs. to do my 8gig. (midlevel paranoia)
this is a interesting read
http://www.akdart.com/priv9.html
as is this
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users