Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 help with firewall

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

Hello

I have windows 7 64 bit, I have installed a new anti virus software but after I installed the new software I was unaware the windows firewall is turned off and can't turn that back on unless I uninstall the software.

the new software has a firewall all by it self, and I'am aware or had been doing some research that should not run 2 fire walls at the same time.\

question to you what should i do leave windows fire wall off and ignore it and trust the software to block any thing coming in or uninstall the software and turn windows firewall back on.

i'am confused as what to do.

thank you. 

Edited by hamluis, 25 February 2014 - 04:19 PM.
Removed formatting, moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

If you trust the company with your anti-virus it is your choice to trust them with your firewall.  If you have a router, unless this is a laptop, you don't have any issues as the router will drop all non-requested incoming traffic.

1.  You can leave things as they are.

2.  Uninstall the anti-virus software, re-enable the Windows firewall, and use a different anti-virus package.

#3 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

I realy don't know much bout the software I installed I have done much reading that has good standing meaning that is a good software and was rated 100% but with that in mind I do not realy know much about the software.

I had thought about uninstalling the software as you mentioned to do and go back to turning the windows fire wall back on so with this in mind I might just do that.

Thankyou for your reply.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

It would be helpful if you tell us what software package you installed.

Before installing a 3rd-party firewall or an Internet Security Suite with a firewall, make sure you turn off the the Windows firewall.

Note: In many cases the 3rd-party firewall or an Internet Security Suite will automatically turn off Windows built-in firewall in order to manage things but that does not always work as intended.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

It would be helpful if you tell us what software package you installed.

Before installing a 3rd-party firewall or an Internet Security Suite with a firewall, make sure you turn off the the Windows firewall.

Note: In many cases the 3rd-party firewall or an Internet Security Suite will automatically turn off Windows built-in firewall in order to manage things but that does not always work as intended.

I installed kaspersky, and I did not turn off the fire wall intentionally just to let you know, but I happen to check the security on my pc to see if the protection was on and that is when I notice the fire wall on windows was off.

I think kaspersky has there own built in fire wall not sure tho.

I installed kaspersky

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Kaspersky Internet Security and Kaspersky Pure has a firewall, so it most likely disabled Windows Firewall when you installed it.

Both of those you have to pay for after the trial period expires. If you intend to do that or already paid, then leave things alone and don't worry about Windows Firewall. Kaspersky products are very good.

#7 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

Yes I knew or thought kaspersky had there own firewall in the software.

I read some place about windows fire wall that is was not much good anyhow.

But that is only what I read bout that.

And about kaspersky I installed it because the other software was slowing my pc down so bad I just could not take it any more webpages was slowing down or loading slow  and got smart and removed it then I decided to install kaspersky from what other people said was good software.

I had been also runing malwarebytes a few times and that found nothing so I knew or thought that I did not have any thing causing the problems.

thank you for the reply much appreciated.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Most concerns you may have heard or read about the Windows Firewall were in the XP operating system so many users were advised to use third-party alternatives. Microsoft significantly improved the firewall to address these concerns in Vista and then added more improvements in Windows 7/8. These are 5 Reasons Why the Windows Firewall is One of the Best Firewalls. See Choosing a Firewall

#9 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

Good article and interesting info,

Then I'am wondering why I installed kaspersky?

I realy should have done more looking around maybe for a software that don't cut my fire wall off.

#10 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:31 PM

Most concerns you may have heard or read about the Windows Firewall were in the XP operating system so many users were advised to use third-party alternatives. Microsoft significantly improved the firewall to address these concerns in Vista and then added more improvements in Windows 7/8. These are 5 Reasons Why the Windows Firewall is One of the Best Firewalls. See Choosing a Firewall

And windows fire wall won't come on I tried to turn it on and the message said 2 or more firewalls running is not recommended.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

You can't turn it on because Kaspersky disabled it. And one of the reasons Kaspersky disabled it it because you should not use more than one firewall.

Using two firewalls could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. Further, running multiple software firewalls can cause conflicts that are hard to identify and troubleshoot. Only one of the firewalls can receive the packets over the network and process them. Sometimes you may even have a conflict that causes neither firewall to protect your connection. However, you can use a hardware-based firewall (a router) and a software firewall (i.e. Kerio, ZoneAlarm, Comodo, Internet Security suite, etc) in conjunction.

Again, if you are satisfied with Kaspersky don't worry about Windows Firewall being disabled.

#12 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

Right now I do not know what to do I have not had kaspersky installed very long about 2 days now, I have heard of zonealarm and the others you mentioned.

BTW what software do you have installed if I may ask?

thankyou for the great info from virginia my home state.

#13 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

You can't turn it on because Kaspersky disabled it. And one of the reasons Kaspersky disabled it it because you should not use more than one firewall.

Using two firewalls could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. Further, running multiple software firewalls can cause conflicts that are hard to identify and troubleshoot. Only one of the firewalls can receive the packets over the network and process them. Sometimes you may even have a conflict that causes neither firewall to protect your connection. However, you can use a hardware-based firewall (a router) and a software firewall (i.e. Kerio, ZoneAlarm, Comodo, Internet Security suite, etc) in conjunction.

Again, if you are satisfied with Kaspersky don't worry about Windows Firewall being disabled.

Ok if I use one of the hard ware based firewalls that you mentioned won't those have conflicts using kasperkys firewall?

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

I use ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus with Windows Firewall. ESET also has a Security Suite with a Firewall but I'm not an advocate of suites.

A hardware-based firewall (router) will not cause conflicts with Kasperky's firewall.

#15 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

I have heard of ESET I did read on some info online about kasperskys fire wall that when you have the 3.0 pure kasperskys software loaded on that you don't need any other firewall. kasperskys 3.0 is what I have on and has its own fire wall.

Thankyou for the replys and info.

I appreciate that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users