Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

winxp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

HI,Can i upgrade my sons PC from 32bit to 64bit with a legal copy of WINXP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

If you have a legal copy and license...you can install any version of Windows.

Not sure what you mean by "upgrade", please elaborate.

The 32-bit versus 64-bit...only applies to the version of Windows...most systems prioduced in the last 10 years are 64-bit systems.

32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/glossaryterms/g/32-bit-64-bit.htm

Louis

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

HI,hamluis, What i meant by upgrade i was under the impression that the 64bit was better then the 32bit as of right now when i go into systems it says there is only 3GB of ram when there are 4 sticks of 1GB of ram in each slot,also i thought if i installed the 64bit i would may be get better streaming of NETFLIX,I also have 3.0 CPU that i plan to install in this PC i am using right now that i believe will also help with the streaming.

Will the 3.0 CPU  i have work on this 32bit system,because the other that went bad on me was a 64bit system or am i trying to compare apples and oranges here.

Edited by LOVEMYPC, 25 February 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

With 4GB fitted, 32 bit Windows will always report somewhere between 2.5GB and 3.5GB of memory available, as this is one of the limitations of the address space available. In order for the remainder to become available to a 64 bit OS, the mainboard must be able to re-map the top 1GB of RAM above the 4GB mark. Not all mainboard/BIOS combinations can do this.

A CPU that was previously used in a system with a 64 bit OS will function quite normally if it's transferred into a system with a 32 bit OS, assuming it is compatible with the mainboard.

However 32 and 64 bit XP itself is a bit apples and oranges as you say - XP64 is a different operating system based on Windows Server, and it isn't regarded as the best for consumer use. Hardware compatibility is not as good as 32 bit XP, since not all manufacturers produced 64 bit drivers until Windows 7. People also reported other odd incompatibilities, even though the OS itself is otherwise very stable etc. Personally I doubt whether you would notice any difference in streaming capability between the two.

Edited by Platypus, 25 February 2014 - 08:47 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

HI,Platypus,Is this incompatibility one of the reasons i have seen while researching why my PC died on that some people said they could not get WIN 7 to work on their PC'S.

The 3.0 CPU i have is the same one i put in my PC last year it was the WINDSOR 89WATT CPU and did not any problems with at,it appears my MOBO is toast i may have access to another one and if i understand what you are saying there may be no real big advantage to installing the 64bit on the PC  i am on right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users