Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Support good until Jan 14 2020

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

I was poking around and picked on two links indicating support will run up untill 1/14/20,  hopefully MS will come up with something real nice by then.  

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

yep

Mainstream (free, Microsoft-provided) support for Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 installed isn't expiring until January 13, 2015. Microsoft will continue to provide security fixes for Windows 7 for free until the end of extended supprt, which is January 14, 2020 -- unless Microsoft ends up extending that support date, as it did with Windows XP.

source

Edited by chrisd87, 25 February 2014 - 12:47 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Anyway, what's wrong with Windows 8?

Does it not give you 'one experience for everything in your life, so now you can get things done and have fun'.  Well that's what the marketing says.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,752 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/windows-8-outpaces-vista-takes-third-on-os-popularity-podium-1162980

http://www.informationweek.com/software/operating-systems/microsoft-sells-200m-win-8-licenses-yawn/d/d-id/1113846

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2014/02/13/15-months-windows-8-sold-100-million-fewer-copies-windows-7/#!xxDjc

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-7-outpacing-windows-8-adoption-shows-latest-figures-7000021383/

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

Remember that those dates aren't written in stone and if businesses fuss enough it will be extending.  We'll have to see what Windows 9 looks like.  I don't see Windows 8 going main stream business.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

I will be the first to admit that my experience of Win 8 is limited, but for anybody who hasn't got a touch screen 8.1 is well worth a look. The general sense I am picking up around the forums is that 8 / 8.1 is a good solid reliable OS.

It's Win 7 on this desktop that gets thrashed on a daily basis and I will admit to no intention to change for the immediate future, but before this I used XP, 98SE, 95 and 3.x (going backwards in time) and yes there are differences, but there have always been differences between one variety of Windows and the next.

I liked the marketing quote by dis62, but similar remarks have been made in the past - Vista anybody ?  It would be nice though if MS listened to their users from time to time.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,752 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

Compare 7 & 8 forums both have their issues, most I know like 7 by a long shot though my XP and down folks don't want any of it.  To me 7 is Ok, and yes I do know that 8 has a leg up on it speed and security wise but I will stay with 7 as long as possible.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

It would be nice though if MS listened to their users from time to time.

IMO...

Microsoft and Windows have gone through stages of growth.

Win 3.1 was for the few...Win 95 gave computer access to everyone...Win 98 improved on Win 95 and grew the market.

Win XP became the most widely used and successful O/S in the history of computing and it hung around for a record number of years.  It was so successful that it made the growth potential of new profits...an impossibility :).

We sometime fail to remember that Microsoft is a going concern...just as Timej-Warner, Ford, and every other business is.  The time to worry about this is when MS reaches the level of "new product introduction" that automakers have employed for eons..."buy a new, improved version every year because we need the money"/ 

With a mature market, it seems that MS has taken a page from the automakers and others...and we will never see a Windows O/S exist in the mainstream more than 5 years again...in the foreseeable future.

Do I like this?  No, not really...but I've been spoiled by the past 18 years of introduction, evolution, and use of Windows.  I'm not the target market that MS is attempting to bring into the fold, I'm part of the sales of 2001 and 2009.  The bucks from my purchase were spent long ago and MS looks to new sources of revenue now and in the future.

That target market has grown up with "gadgets" which they don't understand or appreciate...and they are used to rapid change.\

MS intends to accommodate them...and...get those revenue streams for the future.  It's business, pure and simple...the hype of Win 8 and beyond...is not for the historical Windows users, it's for the "new" Windows users who have had no experience at all with the evolution of Windows and who are unlikely to complain and are likely to embrace...anything shoved their way as "new and improved".

I don't take it personally as an affront, it's just good business :).

MS has no intention of allowing Win 7 become the "new XP" and has taken steps to see to it that mistake is not repeated :).

So...we have Windows 8 and whatever else they care to push out there...and that's OK.  That just opens the door wider for those who want to push linux O/Ses as an alternative to Windows, IMO...and it will be interesting to see what linux developers can do to make their products as easy-to-use and appealing to the masses...as the evolution of Windows had done up to this point.

Louis

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

I'm not part of the new market either.

However, my generation has most of the purchasing power. If we don't like Windows 8 and and all its gadgets...we speak with our wallets.

That explains Microsoft's release of Windows 8.1 but many of us are still not impressed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users