Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 cannot boot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 urello

urello

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Hi there

My win7 PC cannot boot normally. Instead of login screen i getting a repair console. There are steps i made

1. System repair said that hal.dll is corrupted.  I replaced hal.dll from identical win7 installation.

2. System repair said "Startup repair has tried several times, but still cannot determine the cause of the problem". I run chkdsk /r /f. Chkdsk found 1 bad cluster.

3. After reboot system repair said again "Startup repair has tried several times, but still cannot determine the cause of the problem".

4. I booted from original CD. System repair from CD said "Boot status indicates that OS booted successfully". 

5. After reboot system repair said again "Startup repair has tried several times, but still cannot determine the cause of the problem".

6. Booted again from CD and run chkdsk - no errors.

I gave a call to local microsoft support, but they are clueless. There is no restore points on this machine. Is there any chance to recover?

Edited by urello, 25 February 2014 - 11:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

Try repairing the mbr and see if it fixes the problem.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 urello

urello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

When i boot, i see the progress bar and Windows logo before repair console appear. If boot process reaches this stage i assume that MBR is ok.

Edited by urello, 25 February 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

I run chkdsk /r /f. Chkdsk found 1 bad cluster.

Looks like your hard drive is started to fail. Windows won't quit to boot without a proper reason. I would suggest suggest using Seagate Seatool for DOS to run a full surface scan first before proceeding to any other steps.

Seatool ISO image - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

How to burn ISO - http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201431en

Make sure SATA controller mode is set to IDE emulation in BIOS before running the tool. Otherwise the tool may not detect the drive.

What you need to run is the "Long Test".

seatools-2.png 

Please report whether it detects any errors during the test.

#5 urello

urello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

Any way to write this ISO to usb? I tried "ISO to USB" freeware, but USB stick is unbootable.

Also when i press "View details" in startup repair i see the following

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature 01: 0.0.0.0

Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 03: unknown

Problem Signature 04: 21199625

Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover

Problem Signature 06: 18

Problem Signature 07: BadPatch

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

BadPatch? Maybe the problem is WIndows update? Any way to roll back last update?

Edited by urello, 25 February 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

Hi

As far as i know, "Seatool" ISO can't be directly written to USB. You can try using  RUFUS to write the disk image to USB but i am not sure whether it works or not.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/  ( make sure to set FAT32 as the file system ).

BadPatch? Maybe the problem is WIndows update? Any way to roll back last update?

Diagnosing and verifying the health of hardware parts is the first step in re[pairing a PC. Let us check the hard drive health before looking in to possible software issues.

#7 urello

urello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:33 AM

Despite all my efforts i was unable to write ISO on USB stick. So i had to wait till today in order to buy cd-r. Test was passed and disk seems to be healthy.

sea.jpg

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

Hi

Your hard drive seems to be fine so it should be an OS corruption due to some unknown reason. It might be caused by Windows update as you suspected. Have you tried doing an "Offline System Restore" to a date prior to this happened ?.

If that doesn't seems to help, try running "System File Checker" which will repair corrupted system files.

#9 urello

urello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

Hi

Your hard drive seems to be fine so it should be an OS corruption due to some unknown reason. It might be caused by Windows update as you suspected. Have you tried doing an "Offline System Restore" to a date prior to this happened ?.

As I mentioned earlier the system has no restore points so "System Restore" told me the same.

If that doesn't seems to help, try running "System File Checker" which will repair corrupted system files.

As advised on video i ran:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\Windows

As response I got:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Details are included in CBS.log

Tried to attach log - Error This file was too big to upload

Attached zipped log

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.zip   75.54KB   1 downloads

Edited by urello, 26 February 2014 - 09:41 AM.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

Hi

The only way to repair corrupted files which can't be fixed by SFC is to do a repair installation ( in place upgrade ) which requires the system to be up and running. Since Windows is refusing to boot, our options are limited. Probably you may need to perform a clean installation.

As a last step i would suggest restoring the registry hive files from the backup. If it works, you can do a repair install to fix file corruption. Registry hives will be stored inside C:\Windows\System32\Config folder and a backup copy will be stored inside C:\Windows\System32\Config\Regback folder. Restoring the backup copy may worth a try.

Please refer the below guide and let me know whether it helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 26 February 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#11 urello

urello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

I tried to replace registry hives with ones from regback, but system is still unbootable. Also i heard that updates might be rolled back from command line. Could you give advice on this?

#12 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

updates are stored in c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download. You can try to del the files or the whole folder and see what happens.

Also see this:

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/38624-uninstall-specific-windows-updates-via-cmd-or-batch-file-in-windows-7-8-and-server-2008-2012

Edited by chrisd87, 26 February 2014 - 11:07 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users