Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Recovery Partition to Recover Partition

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 WayneF

WayneF

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

Could not boot. So - attempted to re-install OS. Ended up with a "recovery partition" which is c:\. My old c:\ is now d:\. I see all my data on d:\. How do I restore d:\ to be my main boot on c:\?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

First of all, welcome to BC !

Make and model of computer please, or main specs if it is a home built.

In Windows, the boot drive, where Windows lives, is always C:\ , your data can be anywhere on the system and it doesn't really matter. I've got three hard drives on this computer with data on all of them. Your applications are usually on the C:\ drive, but don't have to be and so long as they are working it doesn't really matter.

What may be more important, as far as your data goes, is how big is the D:\ partition ?  If the restore created a partition for Windows that was sufficient for Windows plus a little bit and left most of your space for applications and data on D:\ , then that is fine. If however your D:\ partition is just big enough to contain your data and applications then something will have to be re-arranged !  Data tends to grow with time.

You can easily find out how big C:\ and D:\ are. Click 'Start - Computer' and you will get a screen that lists all your drives, tells you how big they are, and shows how much free space there is in each. If you do have a problem, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users