Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on Harddrive RAID

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Techbean

Techbean

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:29 AM

Hi there,

So since my computer HDD is getting pretty full (I only have a 500gb HDD) I'm planning to buy another harddrive and RAID the harddrives for hopefully recieve more hard drive space. I don't fully understand the RAID process however I understand the basics so I was wondering if someone could answer the following question I have about the process.

1. Does the new HDD I buy need to be identical to my existing one in avaliable space and model?

2. Do I want a RAID 0 or RAID 1?

3. Will this effect any of the content on my existing HDD if I do this?

4. Will this speed up my computer?

Thanks guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:36 AM

I never recommend a raid 0 for storage, this is called a stripped array in which you will get more space and better performance, however if 1 single drive fails you will likely lose all of your data on both drives. The data is split between the 2 drives so if 1 drive fails you have fragments of data left on the other.

Raid 1 is a mirrored array (recommended but your total space with 2*500GB hard drives would be 500GB not 1TB), this means that both drives contain the same data. If 1 drive fails you have a very good chance of recovering data from the other working drive or adding a new drive and rebuilding. Both drives are clones of eachother so you do not double the space with 2 drives.

You would likely need to reload windows to make a stripped array, a mirrored array may be possible but I usually reload before building any array.

If you only have the budget for 2 hard drives total, just add a second drive for storage do not stripe it in raid 0. This way if 1 drive fails you do not lose everything.

If you have a bigger budget you might go with a raid 5 or raid 10. You can read about the most common raid types here: http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/raid-levels-tutorial/

Edited by zingo156, 25 February 2014 - 08:38 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Techbean

Techbean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

Okay thank you very much

It sounds stupid but I never thought to just install a second drive and separate my data manually between to two HDDs from the computer window. Would that work?

The main reason I want to do this is I game a lot on the computer as well as do college work on the same computer. If I moved all the games onto the new HDD and changed the directory would this imporve performace in any way?

Thanks again

Edited by Techbean, 25 February 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

You would not see any benefit in performance unless the new drive was faster than the old one. Spinning drives even in raid 0 are not that fast. SSD's are much faster. You can manually move data, most new games and steam games should work fine from a different drive letter outside of C: Also you can keep the most important data copied to both drives to serve redundancy...

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Techbean

Techbean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Okay I think thats my best option then

Thank you very much for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users