Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with wireless networking in Windows 98SE

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:59 AM

I recently put together a system from some older parts I had lying around mainly for the purpose of running old games from the Windows 95/98 era.  It is an Athlon XP system with 1Gb and a 128mb Geforce 6800 video card and it generally works OK, but with some stability issues in Win 98 only.  It's dual booting between Win XP and Win 98SE.

I installed an Edimax Wireless PCI IEE802.11g card (RALink chipset) and it works perfectly in Windows XP.  However I cannot get it to work properly in Windows 98.  Now I don't particularly want to use Windows 98 for much web browsing, but I would like to get it configured so I can connect if I really want to.

I have installed the drivers, which also installed an RALink utility for handling wireless connections in Win 98.  Using the utility, I can connect to my wireless router.  It shows as connected in the utility.

The main problem is that it's not being assigned an IP address and therefore internet connections don't work.  The router has a DHCP server to assign IP addresses, but for whatever reason, using the wireless adaptor Windows 98 is not requesting an IP address.

The networking settings show the wireless adaptor.  They also show I have the TCP/IP protocol with a binding to the wireless adaptor.  TCP/IP is configured to automatically assign an IP address.  I have tried leaving everything as default, and manually entering 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway, which is the IP address of the router.  But it doesn't work.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Thanks

PS I will attach some screenshots in a bit which might better explain what the problem is...

7sbvuf-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

Have you tried entering the winipcfg /release and winipcfg /renew commands?

Also, what about assigning a static ip in Windows 98, say at the top end of the subnet range configured on the router.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

Attempting to renew the IP address just gets a message "DHCP Server Unavailable: Renewing adapter ""

I think I will have a go at a fixed IP address as the next step, if nothing else comes to mind, thanks.

FWIW, here are the screenshots with network settings etc. (just the SSID's are blanked).  Another piece of info is that I had it working with a ethernet connection (via the motherboard's network port) but that was before installing the wireless adapter.  The wired connection was plug and play - it correctly obtained an IP address without any hassle.  Where I've moved it to now there is no wired connection available.

3qYVCwW.png

DJ89mtH.png

XfVTdQZ.png

jLb5Q7w.png

yiLO0wO.png

lJY3RXh.png

OK4jYXW.png

kz5c9ON.png

mShsf7Q.png

CTCW84i.png

RGxKN4t.png

T4BV3XP.png

61PDnAf.png

iyvzNAl.png

MqMYcHc.png

Edited by jonuk76, 25 February 2014 - 09:21 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

Are you using WPA encryption?   I though Win98 only worked with WEP.

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

Yes it's using WPA on the network. TBH I thought Win 98 had no support for Wireless out of the box. The connection is handled by the third party RALink software which does seem to be compatible with WPA.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:25 AM

I think daveydoom is right because it's Windows that performs the actual encryption.  The Windows WPA Client was only introduced in XP.  You used to be able to get a 3rd-party WPA client for Win98 but the link I've found is now dead.

Can your router be configured to handle WEP and WPA at the same time?

#7 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

Or at least try turning off security temporarily just to test it to see if the Win98 PC will connect :)  .  

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.  I can't AFAIK set up WEP and WPA simultaneously on my router.  So I just switched off security for a short while to test it.  Unfortunately, with the same result.  The RALink software connects to the unsecured network, just like it connects to the WPA network, but there's no internet connectivity and no IP address assigned.  Nor am I able to get it to assign one using the release/renew options in winipcfg.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the wireless drivers and software, but this also hasn't helped.

What has worked though, was setting up a static IP :)  I had to also manually enter DNS server addresses (into TCP/IP settings) before it would work.  It is connecting using WPA encryption like this, so just to confirm that does work.  But for whatever reason, the automatic configuration by DHCP is not working through the wireless adaptor.  It did work properly though the wired connection, so not entirely sure what's going on there.  But at least it's working in some way anyway.  Thanks for all the help :)

Edited by jonuk76, 27 February 2014 - 12:44 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users