Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

G4 not Good 4 much right now

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BobbyG6200

BobbyG6200

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:39 AM

I have a locked Imac G4 also. This machine went online with an ethernet cable. I installed an Airport card, but made a mistake setting it up. Now it won't go online with the ethernet and it won't let me uninstall the Airport card, as I have no Administration rights. I tried the CMD(the key with the apple) + S solution but it won't boot into the Single user mode. I think the keyboard is suspect.

I did manage to run CleanMeUp if that's what it's called.

Any suggestions? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

I have a locked Imac G4 also. This machine went online with an ethernet cable. I installed an Airport card, but made a mistake setting it up. Now it won't go online with the ethernet and it won't let me uninstall the Airport card, as I have no Administration rights. I tried the CMD(the key with the apple) + S solution but it won't boot into the Single user mode. I think the keyboard is suspect.

I did manage to run CleanMeUp if that's what it's called.

Any suggestions?

If you think the keyboard is suspect, have you tried another keyboard?

Does that Airport card/WiFi show up in the System Prefs? If so, you should be able to turn the WiFi off (although it might require admin privs). Is that what you mean by it won't let you "uninstall the Airport card"?

BTW, which version of the Mac OS are you running?

#3 BobbyG6200

BobbyG6200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

Haven't tried another keyboard. Can I use a generic USB board?

Yes, it shows up. The fellow I got this from is not the original owner and he had similar problems. That is no ADMIN rights. Couldn't add or remove programs.

Owe by the way, the program it did take was 'CleanMyMac'. I found this online:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167686/the_exceptional_imac_g4_ten_years_later.html

I didn't realize the significance of this machine. I think I'll keep it. But it does have software upgrade limitations.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

Yes, any generic USB keyboard will work. The only obvious thing is that a Windows "oriented" keyboard will not label the keys the same as a Mac "oriented" keyboard. The keys will still work (i.e. One of the keys will still function as the Command key, should be the so-called Windows key).

Do you have a Mac install disc for that computer? If so, you could reinstall the Mac OS so that you can set up an admin account.

#5 BobbyG6200

BobbyG6200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Unfortunately, no! Gonna try different keyboard and the cmd + s trick

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

You might try calling Apple to see if you can get/buy a "recovery" disc for that computer. I have seen posts from people claiming that they were able to do that.

The other option would be to buy a used copy of the Mac OS through something like eBay. Mac OS X 10.4.x (aka Tiger) will definitely run on that machine, but 10.5.x might as well (as long as the G4's clock speed is greater than 867 MHz…at least "officially"). If you go this route be sure to buy a disc that has a graphic label rather than a disc that is just a grey or white label. For Tiger, it should look something like this:

104.png

Not like this:

mcoe6H7mqIFHFtCtJBrbk_Q.jpg

Discs with grey labels (i.e. the second image) are recovery discs and they are model specific. In other words, you need to have the appropriate disc for the specific model that you have…if you do not, then it will not work.

#7 BobbyG6200

BobbyG6200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

Thanks. That is very helpful.

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor