Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Time Boot On Pc - No Post, No Bios

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jackpine

Jackpine

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:03 PM

Help please!

I tried booting my newly built PC for the first time, and it doesn't POST or go into the BIOS.

The components that were connected to the Asus P5LD2 Deluxe mobo were:

Intel P4 -650 3.4GHz LGA227 CPU
2 x 1GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-5400 667MHz Dual Channel Memory
Enermax Liberty 500W PSU
MSI NX7800GTX Video Card
WD Caviar SE16 2500KS 250GB 16M SATA2 Boot Drive (Data and power connections)
Sony 1.44MB Floppy (Data and power connections)
Compaq Monitor V75
Keyboard
Optical mouse

The sequence of steps that I took are as follows:

1. Monitor turned on.
2. PSU switch turned on. (The green mobo light came on.)
3. Case power switch turned on. (The power LED came on, and then went off after about 5 seconds, and stayed off.)

All fans operated and in the correct rotation.

As soon as I turned on the power switch, I started pressing DEL, hoping to go into the BIOS.

Well, the monitor stayed blank. No image, no text, nothing.
There were no beeps.

It was hard to tell if the computer ran the POST, because there was no sign of activity on the HDD LED, and nothing showing on the monitor.

I turned off the PC by switching the PSU to off.

I then disconnected the hard and floppy drives and mouse, and tried again. Same result.

I don't know what the next step is in troubleshooting, and would really appreciate some guidance here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:59 PM

reseat all your add-on cards, ram etc. Take out your cmos battery and then hold the power button for 10 sec with the battery out. make sure you unplug the power from your computer also. Then put battery back in and try. this worked for a similar problem i had. also make sure that your heatsink is squarely on the cpu die. hope this helps if not sorry.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 06:08 AM

I'd be suspecting RAM right about now.
No beeps, no post kinda points that way.
If you're installing both modules, use the black slots or yellow slots, not one of each.
You could also try the sticks on at a time.
Just for the heck of it, take a look at the CLRTC jumper and make sure it is not on pins 2-3. (clear cmos mode) It'll be next to the pri\sec ide's. The jumper should be on pins 1-2. I've gotten more then one ASUS board out of the box jumpered on pins 2-3. :thumbsup:
As far as add-on cards is concerned, it's best to just install the video card only until you get the OS installed and mainboard drivers loaded from the ASUS cd.

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:39 AM

The best way to figure this out is by configuring a minimal system: CPU+heatsink, power supply, 1 RAM module in slot 1, video card, keyboard and mouse. Disconnect the cables on the drives. It your system still won't POST then swap the RAM module and try again.

As far as resetting the BIOS goes, there is probably a BIOS reset jumper near the battery. Check your manual for its location and use. Using this is easier than pulling the battery out.

#5 Jackpine

Jackpine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:04 AM

Well, here is what I did.

I assembled a bare bones rig outside the case on a piece of cardboard. I had the motherboard, psu, cpu and fan, video card, monitor and keyboard set up. (No hard drives, optical drives, or floppy installed.) I performed startup tests using different combinations of memory sticks.

I labelled one stick X and the other stick Y.

I reset the BIOS by moving the jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3, and then back to 1-2.
Results:

1. When X was installed in either of DIMM slots A1, A2, B1, or B2, I would hear a single beep, and a few messages would appear on the monitor. I don't have the information with me (at work!), but it was something like: SiI8211 ATATP Bios Version..., Scanning for IDE drives, Drive 0 Not Detected, Drive 1 Not Detected, Drive 2 Not Detected, Drive 3 Not Detected, Please insert Boot Media.... Press any key.

2. When stick Y was installed in either of DIMM slots A1, A2, B1, or B2, there was no beep, and the monitor stayed black.

3. I tried every conceivable combination of inserting both sticks X and Y in all the DIMM slots. The results were always the same: no beep, black monitor.

Does this mean that the stick that I labelled Y is defective? How can this be? They came out of the same factory sealed box. I didn't pass them by any magnets (if that would do anything), drop them, or mishandle them in any way. Are they not tested before shipping out?

Edited by Jackpine, 16 May 2006 - 07:07 AM.

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:53 AM

Does this mean that the stick that I labelled Y is defective? How can this be? They came out of the same factory sealed box.

Doesn't matter.
New defective ram isn't all that uncommon, especially with OCZ.
I'd continue my build using the one known good chip.
Once complete, install the replacement module.
Don't forget to install the mainboard drivers directly after loading the OS. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 16 May 2006 - 07:55 AM.

#7 Jackpine

Jackpine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:04 AM

I returned both memory sticks to the store where I bought them, and they confirmed that one stick was defective. They gave me a new replacement set which i then installed.

Now, I get the same beep and messages as before, but when I press Del to get into BIOS, nothing happens. Also I noticed that the lights on the keyboard are not on. (I checked with another keyboard and the same thing happens.)

I installed one hard drive and tried to boot up. I get the same Drive X: Not Detected message.

So, now I have potentially three new problems:

1. No keyboard lights.
2. Can't get into BIOS. (Possibly because of problem 1.)
3. PC can't detect the single connected hard drive.

Where do I go from here?

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:14 AM

You said that you pulled everything and set up a barebones outside the case. Just for "fun", go back and recheck all your connections. Make sure that everything is seated correctly, and in the right spot on the mobo. It is common to have something slightly unplugged on either the hardware or the mobo after moving things around. This would be the first thing that I'd check if it were me.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#9 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:52 AM

1. No keyboard lights.

Tell me you're not using usb keyboards? :thumbsup:
No good until windows is installed. One reason why you'll have to pry my PS2 from my cold dead hands.
Might sound simple but make sure your PS2 keyboard connection is good and isn't connected to the mouse port as well.

Edited by HitSquad, 17 May 2006 - 09:10 AM.

#10 Jackpine

Jackpine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:33 AM

Tell me you're not using usb keyboards?
No good until windows is installed. One reason why you'll have to pry my PS2 from my cold dead hands.
Might sound simple but make sure your PS2 keyboard connection is good and isn't connected to the mouse port as well.

1. I am using a PS2 keyboard, but will try again with one that I know works.

2. I will recheck all motherboard connections.

I don't understand this part:

No good until windows is installed.

I thought that I could go into the BIOS before Windows is installed, by pressing DEL as soon as power is turned on to the PC. Is that incorrect?

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:14 PM

Tell me you're not using usb keyboards?

1. I am using a PS2 keyboard, but will try again with one that I know works.

2. I will recheck all motherboard connections.

I don't understand this part:

No good until windows is installed.

I thought that I could go into the BIOS before Windows is installed, by pressing DEL as soon as power is turned on to the PC. Is that incorrect?

The reason why this is no good is that Windows has to load the drivers for USB, so you can't use a USB keyboard until Windows has loaded the drivers for USB. Same for a USB mouse, and all things connected USB. This is why booting from a USB connected HDD won't work either.

Did that make sense?

If you're connected with a ps2 keyboard, then you should be able to access the BIOS (again, check the connection of the keyboard to the mobo).

If you don't get lights on your keyboard, then I'd almost think that there's something funky with your mobo.....

Hope it helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#12 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:31 PM

and all things connected USB

Actually Steve, there are boards now that will boot to usb devices. :thumbsup:

Jackpine.
Sorry about the obvious usb keyboard question but I had to ask. :flowers:
With most newer Asus boards, 1 beep and no lights on your keyboard usually indicates a keyboard controller problem. That would be a defect in the mainboard but lets not go there just yet. I would expect the "no drive detected" message as you need to get in the bios to set a SATA drive to the first boot device. You do have this drive connected to either SATA1 or SATA2 and not the RAID2 connector, correct?
I'll wait until you run through all your connections again.

#13 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:00 PM

and all things connected USB

Actually Steve, there are boards now that will boot to usb devices. :thumbsup:

What?! When! How! Furthermore, why didn't anyone tell me this!?!? Kidding.

Seriously, I had no idea that things could boot from USB at startup. I was always told that windows had to load the USB drivers, so I thought I was giving good avice there......Sorry about that Jackpine.

Thanks for setting me straight HitSquad!
Posted Image

#14 Jackpine

Jackpine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:22 AM

Since I got the "keyboard not detected" messaged, I disconnected and had a look at the motherboard PS2 connection. It looked OK. I then looked at the keyboard, and discovered that one of the pins at the plug at the end of the cable was missing. (This was an old keyboard that we had laying around for about 5 years, which was replaced back then. I guess this was the reason.)

In any event, I installed a new keyboard, and voila, I can now enter the BIOS setup screen!

I did some navigating of the BIOS and found that the motherboard temperature was 30C, but the cpu temperature was 90C!! As before, another problem pops up as soon as one is solved. This one was easier to solve. I found that one of the four legs of the cup heat sink/fan assembly was not fully depressed in the motherboard. After fully seating it, I rechecked the cpu temp. It was now 51C. Better, but I am not sure if this is what it should be. I will investigate with Intel.

(I have a P4 650 3.4MHz 800FSB processor on an Asus P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard.)

#15 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:51 AM

Nice detective work jackpine. :thumbsup:
Had a feeling it was something along those lines.
Not too many people are lucky enough to get bad memory and a bad board at the same time.
51c is well within tolerance for that cpu.
You'll want to test it under a heavy load though.
Anything over the mid 60's and i'd consider a different cpu cooler if you're using the boxed intel one.
You can use AsusProbe from the supplied cd, set the warning level about 65, leave the probe running and put the pedal to the metal.
Good work!

Edited by HitSquad, 18 May 2006 - 09:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users