Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

annoying "calculating the time required to copy the files message" on windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Miroku16

Miroku16

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

I have noticed this issue today.  When I was moving some files from my phone to my laptop, it displayed the message "calculating the time required to copy the files," loaded more time than it should have, and then did the transfer. This has never happened before.  It normally just jumps right into the file transfer process without that delay.  Does it have something to do with the amount of files in a folder or something else, because I just dd a transfer of two zipped files and they did not display that message.  Can someone explain why my computer displayed this message?

Windows 7 (64-bit)

Edited by Miroku16, 25 February 2014 - 12:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

Yes - you are correct, it is the quantity of files. As far as I know, it will do this for one little text file as well, but since the time taken for the calculation is so short, the message doesn't have the time to show.

Obviously, since the time taken for calculation depends on the amount of data, there comes some critical level when the time is long enough for the message to show. You get the same thing when moving files between drives inside the computer. Internally, on my own computer, it seems to be about 250Mb.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 larryhyman

larryhyman

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

If it's really bothering you, you could try Tera Copy Freeware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users