Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Windows 8.1 to be avoided for the time being?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

I have two almost-new Dell Inspiron 15 laptops, one at work (i3, etc.) and one at home (i7, etc.).  Both run Windows 8.  The one at work is in daily use, the one at home I have hardly had time to use at all.

On the office laptop I am prompted regularly to update to Windows 8.1 ... and so far I have resisted doing so.  Reading the accounts in this forum, I am tempted to wonder whether it might be best to continue to resist until Win 8.1 has "matured" a little?

I was warned about the learning curve for Windows 8.  Can't say I've had any real difficulty.  In fact I've found it (apart from the Metro interface, which I hardly use any more) more straightforward than Vista.  I have no experience of Win 7 except trying to help a couple of friends by telephone (I am in California, they are in Austria :) )  Seems to me there might be such a thing as too much virtualization? :)  Anyway on my Win 8 machines I have no trouble finding where things are located (yes, I know, that's virtual space too, but at least it is organized :) )  I worked for years in a VM environment on IBM mainframes, before PCs appeared, so don't have any "philosophical" objections, just want to be able to find stuff when I want it :).

Thanks as always,

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:14 PM

Apparently there's a spring update of Win 8 coming, that is going to restore a lot of previous Windows functionality.... You may wish to wait for that.

#3 MJPRCE

MJPRCE

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:33 AM

I would heartily recommend you wait for that update. 

Windows 8.1 is still a bit of a pain in the neck.

#4 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

I have a custom desktop, a hp split x2 laptop, and a surface rt running 8.  The custom desktop upgraded to 8.1 without issue; the HP had wireless driver issues that made it difficult to update; The surface updated without issue.

The only difference I notice is that it makes customization of the start screen a little easier.  Some of the Apps require that you update.

I would say it's your call of whether to update.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

Windows 9 is due out in 2015...

I've stayed with 8 because I was able to adapt to not needing a Start button :bubbles:

I've briefly used 8.1 on a client's system and couldn't find any reason to update to it. I think I'll hold out for 9.

#6 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 571 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

I haven't much missed the Start button ... I tend to have the stuff I use regularly on the quick launch/task bar (and not cluttering up the desktop ...).  My Win XP Start button has mostly games on it nowadays :).  In Win 8 I can survive the Metro experience long enough to launch anything I haven't already got on the taskbar list ...

Of course I am a newbie to Win 8 but having survived everything from Hollerith cards (WW II cryptography, don't ask how come that) through JCL and mainframe Fortran, PL/1, SAS, Mark IV, etc. etc., and all the DBMS software that's come down the pike since the IBM XT (my first PC, but with an IRMA card that made it a mainframe workstation at need) I think I will survive Win 8 too.  Anybody remember the first CGA?  Hardly imaginable from the perspective of today's GUI world!

Back in the days of Windows 3.1 of unfond memory, I was programming pseudo-GUI stuff in DOS.  Yikes, can't imagine that now, but at the time it worked pretty well.  Progress bars and all (I didn't do spinning discs :))  Gotta keep the users happy!  The words "event driven" hadn't been invented then, but there were ways ...

John

#7 Guest_anon32028_*

Guest_anon32028_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

If you want, put this into a registry script (*.reg), and execute it. It will stop any notices telling you to upgrade.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore]
"DisableOSUpgrade "=dword:00000001

=============
To reverse the above, put this into a registry script (*.reg), and execute it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore]
"DisableOSUpgrade "=-

#8 Cecilia421

Cecilia421

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

Personally, I liked the improvements that came along with Win8.1 - not that there was anything major. There is the fact that some apps will only run in 8.1 now, too. Like others have said, I think it's up to you.

I actually like how Windows 8 combines the app driven interface with the desktop environment. The major drawback for me is that the Windows app store seems to be defined by "quantity but not quality."

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards."
- Soren Kierkegaard

#9 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

To update or not...I updated to 8.1 because I had nada on the system and it was easy. From what I have read, 8.1 update 1 is not looking good, a sort of thrown together update by Microsoft to appease users. I shall skip it unless it addresses security issues. And I shall see about 9.

#10 StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

its depends on your use because their is many software which is not supporting by win 8 but for performance way it is very fast and good. New users are not able to use it easily because their is bit diff comp with win 7 , xp

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

I will stay with 7 as long as possible, am sorry to see XP waining!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#12 olvidadizo

olvidadizo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

I was going to play it out with My XP, but I had bad feelings about it. So i jumped in a bought windows 8.1 from argos. My Son set it up for Me. I watched a few vids on youtube and had a mess about. I got the acer aspire E1-522. I couldnT use the touchpad, because it kept pulling charms out ( a pain in the butt ) so got a mouse and it works fine now. You can turn top right corner click off too, that helps. bit of a learning curve for Me was, the page disappearing lol I found them behind the firefox icon or to the left side of the screen lol. I did use windos defender till I got use to 8.1 then went to My emails and retrieved Kasperskey and installed that again.

I don't only use facebook, youtube and browes. but My Son has found it helpful for His college homework. He's got vista, and it's full of crap and My XP was faster than that thing lol. I hope You all end up with a nice new windows 9 soon.

#13 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:48 AM

Windows 8.1 has newer Internet Explorer not available for Windows 8 users.

#14 oldcomputerexpert

oldcomputerexpert

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

Windows 8.1 adds the ability to bypass the metro screen and start at the desktop. Some of the Start Button / menu add-on programs require 8.1 to be installed.

Personally, I find 8 annoying.  I’ll be typing along and it will randomly switch back into the Metro screen.  And 8.1 really doesn’t solve anything.   I have been trying out some of the add-on Start Menu programs, which greatly improve the functionality.    I have an ASUS T100 with 8.1, but I’m going to keep Win 7 and XP on my desktop systems.   I have been repairing quite a few Win 8 systems and currently have two in the shop with odd problems.

The concept of Windows 8 seems to be to run one app at a time, full screen.  I typically have a dozen programs and windows open and dozens of web pages open and work between them on multiple monitors.  It’s like Microsoft is moving Windows away from the “Window” concept.    And someone at Microsoft saw the “Store” concept on Mac’s and Droids and decided to build it into Windows to squeeze out more bucks.   Sorry about the rant…..

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,613 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

I don’t have Windows 8 but I have helped some friends take care of what they had to do without much difficulty

--- The only issues I’ve had is that I’m not experienced with Windows 8 so it took me a little time to figure things out

I have taken notes of what I’ve read about upgrading to 8.1 and here they are

--- I hope these will be helpful

According to my notes Factors to consider are

--- Some AV apps become disabled or uninstalled.

--- It could also include removing system cleaners such as TuneUp and CCleaner and/or uninstalling any other similar type of third-party software that might interfere with the upgrade installation

Some of the additional items of 8.1 are

Windows 8: No start button

--- Windows 8.1 Has the start button

Windows 8: Apps were adjustable for either large or medium icon sizes

--- Windows 8.1 Extra large and small icon sizes have been added

Windows 8: Search function provided a list of apps

--- Windows 8.1 is powered by Bing

---- Bing Search Engine also provides files and folders

Windows 8.1 SkyDrive offers 7GB of free storage

--- Its default setting is to save to the cloud but there is an opt-out

Windows 8: Issues with connecting to VPN’s

--- Windows 8.1 Allows users to connect automatically to VPN’s

Windows 8.1 Any computer or tablet with 3G or 4G capabilities can become its own wireless hotspot

Windows 8: Shortage of apps and can run only 2 at a time

--- Windows 8.1 Allows 4 apps

Windows 8.1 App store: more apps available

You can also check out Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users