Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 constantly crashing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EthanClimber

EthanClimber

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

I have a problem. I will try to be as detailed as possible.

Computer: ASUS laptop X53S

Antivirus software: ESET

For the last couple of months, whenever my computer has updates that require restart, my personalized setting (e.g., screen saver picture, my work and personal files on the desktop, toolbar icons I’ve chosen, etc.) will vanish after the computer has restarted; the screen will look the way it did when I first purchased it, with the generic brand logo on it, and all my files, settings, are gone). However, after fiddling with it for a few minutes (usually restarting it a few times) my personal settings would show up again. I turned off automatic updating after this happened a few times.

A few days later, however, my computer seemed to have a mental breakdown: if I tried turning it on (main user account-administrator), the screen would sometimes go blank (although it was still on), my personal desktop screen saver and tool bar icons were there but all of my files, and icons, and personal settings on the desktop would be gone and I couldn’t open anything, including the start menu; nothing worked. Interestingly, if I log in as another user (non-administrator), most programs will work, albeit not very well.

I then tried starting it in safe mode. When I log in to my main account (i.e., administrator user) in safe mode a box comes up every few seconds saying: “windows explorer has stopped working,” then another comes up: “windows explorer is restarting.” This is incessant. However, this doesn’t happen when I log in as another user (although it happens when I'm also in regular mode in my main account [i.e., administraor user]).

The computer does not automatically engage startup repair; I have to do it myself, and when I do, it says nothing is wrong. When I do Command Prompt SFc/Sannow it says: “windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of the problems. Details are included in the CBS.log.” I have tried performing a clean boot and that didn’t help in any manner. In the past, then I have had problems with my laptop, I have been able to select the option that allows you to restore the settings to an earlier time. However, when I tried it this time, a box came up saying no earlier save times have been saved or made, or something to that effect (I don’t remember the exact wording).

My anti-virus software (ESET), when I perform a diagnosis/system rescue, says that “windows AIK/ADK is corrupt or not installed.” When I have tried installing AIK/ADK on my computer from the windows website nothing changed.

As a side note: a friend of mine says my OS is corrupt. He suggested I load windows 7 again. However, when I put the first disc in my CD tray, either in safe mode or regular, nothing happens; how I do force my computer to engage the windows 7 Cd rom before activating the (corrupt) OS (which gets everything stuck again)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does anybody know what the heck is wrong with my computer???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

Hold F2  or repeatedly press it; shortly after power on. this will get you into bios where you can set the dvd drive as first boot option.

#3 EthanClimber

EthanClimber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

Thanks, NickAu1.

#4 EthanClimber

EthanClimber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

UPDATE:

Something else I forgot to mention: exe.courier wasn't working correctly in the days leading up to the problems.

If this is a virus/malware, can I just uninstall windows 7 and then reinstall it by buying again (or will the virus/malware remain)?

Thanks.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

If you think you are infected please read this.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/182397/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do-how-do-i-get-help-who-is-helping-me/

I would first read the above the guys on this site are truly great and will guide you thru the cleanup process If you are infected. I can not comment on If you are or are not infected . Why. I am not qualified on this or any other site. Without looking at logs from your pc no way of telling.

I just uninstall windows 7 and then reinstall it by buying again

If you have a genuine copy of windows you should not have to buy again.  There should be a key on the bottom of your machine. Or on the disc's you got with the laptop. There also may be a recovery partition.

See video.

http://youtu.be/UMSed6EQ7CU

What's a virus??  

Edited by NickAu1, 27 February 2014 - 01:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users