Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioning

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:37 PM

Hello, im not sure which forum to post this on, so if it needs to be moved, please move it to the correct place. First of all, what im trying to do is partition Windows Vista as a seperate operating system. I've pulled it off sucessfully on my first computer, but this computer is giving me many problems. I've formatted my recovery drive because i dont need it. So I used partition magic to merge the partitions so i can get my entier C: on one drive. Well, Everytime i do this, I get an error and the program shuts down. So I restart, I delete the recovery drive, and distribute the unallocated space, I get another error.. What am I doing wrong? why is it not working this time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:52 PM

Well, We need some error messages on what is happening and please all of the error messaage. We also need to know what version of Partition Magic you are using. Any other info like make, model, processor, Ram etc of the computer you are trying to put the Vista on. SInce you have already instlalaed this on another computer is this a 32-bit version of Vista?

#3 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:58 PM

Yes, its the most current version of vista. But see, I cant even get to the installation of the OS. Thats not my problem.

HP Pavillion a1267c
Partition magic v8.1
1024MB DDR ram
AMD 3200+ 64 Processor

I know this ocmputer is more than capable of running it, because the specs on the other ocmputer are significantly lower than those of these.

Im going to attempt to do another operation and write down the error message.

Edit: The error number given from partition magic is "Error 983 : Too many errors"

Edited by Uraiser, 13 May 2006 - 09:04 PM.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:14 PM

Ok It looks like your computer should definetly run Vista but you left out one important piece of information. What is the version of Partition Magic you are using?

#5 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:15 PM

Ok It looks like your computer should definetly run Vista but you left out one important piece of information. What is the version of Partition Magic you are using?

Actually its in tmy original post..

Partition Magic V8.1

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:06 PM

I went looking for a solution and found this:

Solution: Error 983 Too many errors found, process halted.

Cause 1: This error can be caused by file system errors on the partition Solution 1: Run a scandisk or chkdsk /f on the partitions.
Cause 2: This error can also be caused by multiple partition table errors. Solution 2: If any of the above solutions do not apply, run PartitionInfo . (For information on using PARTINFO, see PowerQuest Solution PR94, "Running a PartitionInfo.")
and send the report to PowerQuest technical support.

I found similar solutions all saying to run chkdsk /f or run scandisk but according to the posting people that did not work.

I have had a problem with Partition Magic on certain computers that is just did not do its job very good. The last one I had to re-foramt the drive and reisntall Windows over again. It seems that the software used to setup the hard drive originally had a conflict with Partition Magic and caused the computer to not want to boot after PMagic's work was done.

I do not think you have a bad hard drive just a problem with PMagic.

Here is an article from Fred Langa :

Langa Letter: Another Hidden Gem: The Windows Disk Management Tool

http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle...cleID=180207718

This ecplains a good procedure please read and follow it, it might give you some good info on what's wrong. It will tell you if your drive is healthy or not. It is written for Windows XP but you should be able to follow it thru Vista if it has this option built into it.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:49 AM

I'd suggest that you put the Vista on a separate partition. It will litter your hard drive with many files and folders - and, should you upgrade to another Beta version it will be much easier to clean off the other partition rather than your C:\ drive
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:54 AM

I'd suggest that you put the Vista on a separate partition. It will litter your hard drive with many files and folders - and, should you upgrade to another Beta version it will be much easier to clean off the other partition rather than your C:\ drive

That was my intention.. Maybe i didnt come off clear, im sorry, my words get mixed up. What I intended to do is put vista on another partition, so I can switch between the OS's with just a matter of using Bootmagic. But I cannot Get rid of the damned HP Recovery Partition. WHen I tried to Convert the partition to NTFS, and merge it with my main Partition in which WINXP is on, it gave me the error code, so Im stuck at step one of getting rid of my recovery partition.

Edited by Uraiser, 14 May 2006 - 09:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users