Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sluggish mouse action in Skyrim

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Izzye

Izzye

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

I recently installed Skrim and after the initial bit of jerkiness it seems to have settled down, apart from when I try and look around using the mouse; instead of turning smoothly and at a decent speed, I have to run the mouse to its full length, pick it up and put it back to the edge of the desk about 5 times to turn 360 degrees. I had a look in the settings menu to see if I could find anything but there didn't seem to be anything obvious. My computer set the graphics to medium, could that be a cause of it, and if so how do I put it on low? I couldn't find a setting for that either.

Thanks.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows XP to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hi,

Have you looked at/changed your mouse settings to see if that makes any difference?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

I haven't, no, I'll try that next time I play and see what happens. Thanks.

#4 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

I pushed my mouse sensitivity (or pointer speed as XP calls it) up to maximum and it seems to have made a tiny bit of difference but I'm now getting a significant amount of lag that I'm not sure was there before, I'm also having to still move the mouse 4/5 times in order to turn 360 which is proving worrisome as this means things keep attacking me and I can't see them. Could it be my mouse? Should I consider upgrading it? It's a fairly old logitech 830524-0000 if anyone happens to be an expert on mice.

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:40 AM

Check your mouse settings in windows, in the logitech settings, and in skyrim. Also, what kind of frames per second are you getting? If you stand still in skyrim and watch enemies running around, are they smooth or do they jerk around as in low frame rate animation? Because if you are getting extremely bad frames per second, then it could cause a mouse effect like this.

#6 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:37 AM

Enemies move fine, as do I in a straight line, lag seems to be a bit better when running in windowed mode. I'm getting between 50 and 60fps when running windowed, and between 40 and 50 in full screen. I think. My FPS counter has fallen half off the bottom of the screen. Mouse sensitivity is turned right the way up, I'm not sure if I have any logitech settings, it's just a plug and play mouse and I'm still looking for the mouse controls in Skyrim.

#7 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:41 AM

Ah, I found look sensitivity and turned it up a bit, now everything's really jerky when I move  <_<

#8 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:46 AM

I would have screen-shotted this but I can't work out how to insert it. The picture on my screen has moved significantly to the left, about an inch, and left a column of black down the right hand side of the picture, but only in Skyrim, it doesn't seem to have affected the rest of my computer.

I don't think I've ever had this many issues with any game I've ever played before. Except F1 games on the N64; they were impossible.

#9 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:00 AM

Then you are getting good FPS and it's not the cause of the turning lag.

If you open MS Paint and draw some big circles, are they nice and smooth? I mean, does the mouse operate smoothly in windows, and only poorly in Skyrim? What about other games?

#10 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

Mouse is fine in Paint, Morrowind, the Sims 3, not sure I have any other games installed to compare it to. The jerkiness seems to come and go in Skyrim depending on where I am; if I'm somewhere underground lit only by fire then it's worse than if I'm outside where the light is more stable. Maybe it's my graphics card rather than the mouse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users