Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop HDD not recognized in bios or OS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pixie4stix3

pixie4stix3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

my laptop screen broke, but it worked fine through the HDMI ports hooked to my tv. Then after 2 months or so running it this way, computer froze. after I reset it the ports no longer worked and my sata HDD is no longer recognized. I took the HDD out and put it in to another laptop (all parts in this laptop in working order) and still it doesnt recognize. It says no boot device detected please insert system disk press any key to continue....Is there anything I can do to get my HDD working? it spins up, but the computer wont detect it...any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

Hi,

It sounds as if the hard drive has died. If it isn't detected in two different computers that is fairly definitive.

Just curious did the screen break due to the laptop being dropped or impacted? That could have caused some damage to the drive. At this point You need to decide if You want to replace the drive and load Windows or not.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Is the hard drive recognized by either computer in the bios? Just because it says no boot device detected does not mean the bios is not seeing the drive. After powering the computer on, tap F1, F2, Delete or F8. One of these keys will take you to the bios. From there is it listed as a sata device? If neither computer sees the drive at a bios level the drive is likely toast. If you have information on the drive that is important, you may need to send it off for data recovery, usually this is not cheap.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 pixie4stix3

pixie4stix3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

the laptop fell as it was open and landed on the top edge of the screen and the edge of the key board. this was how the screen was broken, however no other issues had been present with the laptop or any other hardware. I used the HDMI ports connected to my TV to view the screen for at least two months....then the pc froze solid. nothing would respond at all. so I shut it down using the power button and when I turned it back on...nothing. the ports didnt work. so I hooked the vga port up to the desktop monitor. still nothing. then I took out the HDD and put it into another laptop and that is when I received the error. the HDD is spinning, no weird sounds, but it is not detected in bios on this other pc. if I change the sata connection board on the hard drive would that possibly help?

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

In very rare cases changing the controller board will help. To do this you must find an identical board. Most of the time this has not worked for me. Because the laptop fell it may have done damage to the head or other internal component of the hard drive.

Edited by zingo156, 24 February 2014 - 02:22 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users