Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dllhost.exe seems to be hogging resources-Win 7

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Smorton1951

Smorton1951

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

I have Win7 Home Premium (64 bit) and last few days the system will get very slow and after viewing the task manager it indicates that the dllhost.exe is using almost all of my physical memory.

I am at the point where I am thinking of doing a clean reformat.  I am wondering if this could be mechanical problems and as well are malware, etc.

I have enough ram to back up docs, etc, up but not much else.  I have ran a bunch of tests and nothing shows up.  I ran Combo Fix and it deleted my SnagIt program.  I am writing this from my laptop which I have never liked until a few minutes ago.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Steve Bolton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

I ran Combo Fix

Since you ran ComboFix and also state that dllhost.exe is using all of your memory, I would suspect malware on the PC. This topic would need to be moved to the am I infected forum.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

Oh.  Should I try to move it?

Does hardware  go bad much?  This is a custom built computer and is about 5 years old.  It has a Samsung SSD but a few of the USB ports no longer work.  Maybe the thing is worn out?

If you can move this to the proper part of the forum that would be great.  If you can't I will try.

Sorry I am running in a little bit of crisis mode.

Thanks

SB

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

Wait for a moderator!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

For a future reference, there is a button just to the left of "MultiQuote" titled Report.  When you move your mouse pointer over it it will become accessible.

Use this to report if a topic needs to be moved, or if there is any other problems that a Moderator can assist you with.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

Having run Combofix we need to see that log and a DDS log from this guide.
Please follow this Preparation Guide, do steps 6,7 and 8 and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

It went well because I "went back" to an early version of my image (EaseUS ToDo).  OS is really zipping around.  The only software I am looking for is the discs that came with my  Fujitisu ScanSnap IX500 document scanner.

Lessons:  1.  Make a copy of my OS  as an image.  Keep it in a good place and annotate what it contains.

#8 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Shoot.  I hit enter.

I know anti-software is probably the leading topic on this forum.  I hope to prevent what happened from happening again.  I had Avast Free.  After the reformatting I had WSE (updated).  I ran a host of other things on a regular basis (Malabytes, etc).

Is it better to pay for antivirus?  I read a little about Emsisoft AntiMalware on this website.  I am inclinded to buy the full time version.  Any thoughts from folks who have used it?

Thank you.

Steve Bolton

#9 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:54 PM

Personally, there's no need in a paid software of any kind for personal use as you can get the same performance out of free products. The only benefit of a paid  version is you are paying to have their support. Stick with Avast, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntiSpyware and practice safe browsing habits, and you will be fine. Also Windows firewall works right out of the box and there's no need in paying for another firewall product all because you think Windows firewall isn't working because it doesn't "prompt" you like all the others.

Edited by chrisd87, 24 February 2014 - 08:55 PM.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

personally, there's no need in a paid software of any kind for personal use as you can get the same performance out of free products

I do not agree with some of that.

While free products like Avast and Malwarebytes  are brilliant products and work great I think If you can afford it and you like the product buy it. If everybody uses the Free product where is the money going to come from for the company's to keep developing updating and bug fixes, Coders/Programer's do not work for free.

Without financial support the product will suffer therefore we the users of the product suffer.

Edited by NickAu1, 24 February 2014 - 09:04 PM.

#11 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:06 PM

Free is about all I can afford right now.  MSE vs. Avast Free?

Thanks

Steve Bolton

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,155 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

My last paid one was Kaspersky, it did fine used it for about 3 years.  When MSE beta was announced I went for it, I figured who knew the system better than its producers.  That is a few years back, have been running MS av/firewall since.  I have considered a few others that could be better or worse, ain't broke ain't gonna fix it.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#13 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

Coders/Programer's do not work for free.

Wrong, a lot of them work for free, why don't you go visit http://www.xda-developers.com and see for yourself.

Now back on topic. Avast is recommended over MSE. The only need to purchase a Malware suite is if your in the business world, where you want a centralized management console that you can't get with free versions. I'm rocking Avast and Malwarebytes with Windows Firewall on Windows 8, and everything is running without a hiccup.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/avc_prot_2013b_en.pdf

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/julaug-2013/

Edited by chrisd87, 24 February 2014 - 09:55 PM.

#14 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

Thanks.  I had heard negatives about Avast Free but I guess you can hear that about anything.

Steve Bolton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users