Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really HOT CPU

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ogasdd

ogasdd

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/AzwJHmaN1lop3xGA8dxvQ76

I recently purchased Lenovo G505s and first thing I immediately noticed was HEAT coming out of it.

I put my hand on keyboard to type and its HOT. I thought I was being sensitive and tried to figure out what was wrong with it.

While I was taking a stroll in IE looking for a problem the laptop kept freezing up.

I downloaded speccy... cuz i always have one on the laptop and noticed that CPU Temperature.

I thought it was a faulty so I called and sent it in, but they claimed it was NOT faulty at all and sent me the same one back.

So right now I'm trying to see if there is anything I can do to fix it before I return this thing for my money back.

Or is this normal?

I updated the BIOS already.

and that seemed to fix the freezing up issue.

Edited by ogasdd, 24 February 2014 - 04:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

Download HWiNFO and start the program.

Click on the sensors button and then look for the fan speeds.  I would expect the APU fan to be running at max.

116 deg C is, IMHO, way too hot.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

If this is correct...

AMD A4/A6/A8/A10: 
116 °C
Then I would think the CPU is damaged from the heat....way too hot!

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

90 degrees Celsius is around the upper limit, for AMDs.

Temp monitoring apps tend to give conflicting data, so I would try several different ones. HWMonitor is one that I use.

Are you hearing the fan run?

EDIT: Could be a long shot, but maybe someone forgot to put on thermal paste?? During the assembly process, I mean.  But opening up the laptop will probably void the warranty, so I would probably return it ASAP.

Edited by Netghost56, 24 February 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

It's showing that it's running at 1400mhz in the Speccy report.  It's a 2500mhz processor so presumably that's clocking down to save power under light load.  If those are accurate temperatures under idle conditions, I wouldn't like to think what it would be like if it had to do any real work.  As already said it could already be damaged and I'd be very surprised if the CPU doesn't burn out totally very soon.

Edited by jonuk76, 24 February 2014 - 01:15 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 ogasdd

ogasdd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

I do hear really faint sound of fan running.

I downloaded HWiNFO but have no idea how to read it

Core color thing is green. Flashes me with yellow a bit.

I guess Thernmon is thermometer? N/A

I put this in Edit but I guess if I put it in as edit, it won't show that I dropped by.

So putting it as a diff post.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

When You are using the Laptop is it on a hard surface with room underneath it for air flow?

Has it been like this since New?

If the answers are Yes. I suggest taking it to a Lenovo Authorized Service Provider.

I saw this problem on a couple of Toshiba laptops and a Acer laptop that had defective heat sink Assemblies.

You can locate one here http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-service/service-provider/findServiceProvider.page?

Select Your Country and enter Your location data. I entered my Zip code and came up with 9 in a 20 mile radius. What to understand is that the Lenovo ASP is a independent that is authorized to provide warranty service. Thus if You do not feel comfortable with the one You go to, Do not leave it, just go to a different one.

Disclaimer: I'm familiar with the process as I worked at one for Lenovo and Toshiba and several brands of printers in the past.

They are good at providing parts, The parts are overnighted unless out of stock.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S.

I do hear really faint sound of fan running.

If it is running that hot the fan should be racing and very loud. I still suspect a hardware problem.

Edited by rotor123, 24 February 2014 - 05:05 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 ogasdd

ogasdd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

Yes It has been like this since its new.

Even before I sent it in for replacement. Which came back saying laptop was fine and sent me back this one again.

I've tried it on several different surfaces. I tried everything cept kitchen sink & bath room.

I'll go and see if they can fix mine under warranty. Thank you for that info.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

When You sent it in was it to Toshiba or was it to the seller?

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

You mean Dell, and right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users