Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot initialize laptop hard drive when connected to desktop.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trouble at mill

trouble at mill

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

Hello, I have taken out a dead hard drive from a Samsung notebook, I bought a replacement and wanted to initialize and format the new drive while connected to a desktop via usb, I can see the new hard drive in Computer Management listed as disk 5 unallocated, and not initialized, with a black bar at the top. I want to Initialize the drive and format it before putting it back in the laptop and loading an operating system. I have tried right clicking on the black bar to get an options list but the new partition option is grayed out. Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong!.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

Try clicking on the disk number at the left and then right click > initialize

#3 rebbael

rebbael

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

I'd download Lili http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ and download and install something like gParted or Parted Magic. Boot it up - in BIOS just make sure your USB drive is primary bootable device or if you wish to burn it, have a spare CD  - boot up from CD you burned either of those Disk Managment OSs.

These are free, better (IMHO) and fast.

Cheers!

Edited by rebbael, 24 February 2014 - 12:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users