Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is max ram speed DD3 hard coded into the CPU or mainboard? Conflicting answers.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Svperstar

Svperstar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

Ok so I recently bought a new laptop HP with an AMD A8-4500m APU. It came with one 1600mhz 4 GIG stick of ram.

I know that APU graphics use main system memory and dual channel is very helpful, so I had a 1333 mhz 4 GIG stick laying around and I put it in my laptop.

This makes both sticks run at 1333 mhz but with the boost from going dual channel I got a very nice bump in FPS when gaming. I'm happy that as long as I turn AA off, every game I own runs very well on this chip.

MY ISSUE

According to AMD.com this CPU(A8-4500m) supports 1866 memory:

http://products.amd.com/en-us/NotebookAPUDetail.aspx?id=35

in reviews online people have got 20-25% performance boosts going from 1333 mhz ram to 1866 mhz ram since the gfx chip needs the bandwidth. However several people have told me there is no way that HP would allow that kind of high performance memory and 1600 mhz is the maximum. Others have told me the memory controller is on-die built into the AMD CPU so HP has no control in the BIOS that would limit the memory to 1600mhz.

Does anyone know what is right? If this laptop will support 1866 mhz ram I will order 2x4 GIG sticks but I don't want to waste money on something that will not run at its full potential.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

Well...I've always thought that the motherboard controls the RAM speed, clock speed, etc...but what do I know?

In any case...I'd look at the motherboard specs before I decided what RAM was appropriate/inappropriate...based on my preconceptions that it is the determining factor.

It would be enlightening to know which particular model HP system it is that you have.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

Go to Crucial and use their system scanner to determine what RAM they suggest.  They will also tell you the maximum amount of RAM you can use in each slot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users