Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply suggestions/help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LizardDown

LizardDown

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

Hello

I am doing a research project about comparing the value for money on pre-built and custom built PC's and I have some questions regarding power supplies. Information/help given may be used in my project and will be credited.

The budget I have set is $1500 and it will be a gaming pc and the power supplies I have narrowed my searches down to are:
Antec TruePower Classic 650w, http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25942

Seasonic Platinum 660w, http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22698

ThermalTake Toughpower DPS 750w, http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26616

Corsair VS650, https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22271

My last question is what do the 80 PLUS ratings mean?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2014 - 04:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

They are efficiency certifications awarded by the 80 Plus organisation.  PSU manufacturers have to submit models for testing in order to use the 80 Plus logo.  Just a word of warning though, there have been cheap manufacturers fraudulently using 80 Plus logo's on their PSU's (none of the ones you mention above, I'm just making the comment for general info).  Certified models are listed on the 80 Plus site.  The different levels of rating are described on the 80 Plus website or here.  The highest is Titanium, although I'm not aware of models released with that certification yet.  Platinum then is the best efficiency rated PSU's you can easily buy at the moment.

A more efficient PSU means lower energy use, as less power is wasted as excess heat.  A PSU operating at say, 70% efficiency delivering 400w will actually be drawing 571 watts from the wall socket.  The 171w is wasted energy.  While a PSU operating at 90% efficiency delivering 400w will be drawing 444w.  That's a fairly big difference.

It's also in some ways a proxy for the quality of the power supply - low quality cheap PSU's tend to be very inefficient.  In order to be certified they have to be tested as at least being able to deliver their rated power at the required efficiency level.  In order to be Gold certified, for example, they have to be able to deliver 100% load at 87% efficiency.  A low quality PSU simply cannot do this.  Low quality PSU's tend to struggle to achieve their rated output, if they can even reach it at all.  However if selecting parts for myself I wouldn't just go on 80 Plus rating alone, and would search out a review on one of the numerous enthusiast sites who test PSU's in incredible detail.

One criticism of the certification is that it's done at relatively low temperatures of 23 degrees as mentioned here.  In reality, the inside of a PC case is likely to be much warmer than that.  And higher temperatures generally equal lower efficiencies.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 LizardDown

LizardDown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

Thank you for the help.

I have seen some tests in PC Power Play that say the Antec TruePower Classic 650w is a smart purchase.

I would like for the system to be added to/upgraded overtime.

Can you please tell me some of the enthusiast sites?

Edited by LizardDown, 25 February 2014 - 02:21 AM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:02 AM

Here's a few with quite a lot of PSU tests between them (not an exhaustive list by any means).

Hardware Secrets

TechPowerUp

JonnyGuru

RealHardTechX (Review Database) - good for finding reviews of a specific model

Xbit Labs

PC Perspective

Hard OCP

Another useful site for sizing likely requirements is the PSU calculator here - http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp (just put in what you think you might expand the PC too eventually to get an idea of the power supply requirements).

EDIT I missed the first part of your question altogether.  Sorry!  Of the ones you've highlighted I'd probably go for the Antec (Seasonic is OEM on this particular range).  The Seasonic Platinum and Thermaltake is just too much of a price premium for my liking.  The Corsair is not 80 Plus certified - I'd certainly want that these days.  I'm guessing you're in Oz from the retailer linked? I found this which adds modular cables (only install what cables you need to keep cabling neat) for $10 more than the Antec, which seems worth considering - Seasonic G Series 650w.  And review here.  You won't go far wrong with Seasonic :)

Edited by jonuk76, 25 February 2014 - 05:33 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 LizardDown

LizardDown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

Thanks heaps!

You have been a great help to my research project!  :lol:

The Seasonic G series will be the one I go with.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

No worries mate :tophat:

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users