Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aero no longer working for main user?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scblair

scblair

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

A problem just started the other day that has me puzzled. The Aero effects on my desktop/themes have quit working but only for the Admin user on my desktop. On another account it seems to work OK.

It's currently running Win 7 Home Premium. It had been working fine until now. I installed a new motherboard a few weeks ago with no issue. The only other thing is that I've gotten a quick blip of a message when starting up that says Windows couldn't connect to a service, but it disappears so quickly I can't read all of it.

When I try to apply a new Aero theme all of the options are greyed out.

Here's what I've done so far:

1. uninstalled nvidia drivers and updated to latest version
  2. run the scannow utility (no errors)
  3. updated my Windows Experience - saw no changes in score
  4. ran the Aero troubleshooter with no effect

As everything seems to be working ok otherwise I'm just considering this as an annoyance but I'd appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

Have you run the Aero Troubleshooter In Windows 7 

(Start button/Control Panel. In the search box, type Troubleshooter, click Troubleshooting, 
and then, under Appearance and Personalization, click Display Aero desktop effects.)

Or did you try the Fixit below.

I don't know if there is any difference.

#3 scblair

scblair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

I tried the fixit and it says that I need to install an Aero compatible card. As it was working before with the same card I'm not sure what the issue is. The troubleshooter couldn't identify a problem.

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

You mentioned a message about services, so open Services and make sure the 2 services, Desktop Window Manager and Themes startup type are set to automatic.

Is the color depth set to 32 bit. (Just checking).

You could rollback the Nvidia driver, to see if there is any difference; if not uninstall and reinstall the Nvidia drivers.

Can't think of anything else.

#5 scblair

scblair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

tried both of those. I'm considering the nuclear option as that always seems to work. Or switching completely to Linux.

#6 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

Do you have a system restore point that dates back before the problem? You could try rolling back to that time/date and see if it fixes it.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#7 scblair

scblair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

I seemed to have resolved the issue at least for now. Oddly enough it seemed related to the error message I was getting which was that Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service. I thought this was unrelated but in investigating this problem it's apparently tied in to the Aero malfunction. 

I followed the advice on this topic:  http://answers.microsoft.com/

I reset the winsock and uninstalled Soluto, then rebooted. It came back up OK for now but many say that it's temporary. I'll have to see about that. Anyway I'm posting this in case others have similar issues

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users