Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My new pc, tips n fixes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nJack

nJack

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

Hi everyone, 

I'm building a new computer and, since it's been years from the last one I assembled, I'm out of date on some stuff and I'd like to hear your opinion on what I'm planning to buy.

So this pc would be mainly for work and a little gaming. Nothing special, just the latest game at medium settings.
Also since i'm spending a lot of time in front of it I want a good monitor (maybe two) but we'll talk about this later. 

I live in europe (italy) so my prices will be in euro.
So i was thinking about something like this:

1. Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell LGA1150 198 €.
  2. AsRock Z87 Pro4 Socket 1150 85 €.
  3. Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) CL9 72 €
  4. VGA Asus nVidia GeForce GTX660 158 €
  5. Corsair CX600M 600W 68 €

here's a link to the build 

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2Y4Yf

So it would be 581 €. That's pretty much my budget, I don't wanna go over it by much.

I don't need a new HDD. 
This should be everything. Now I'd like to hear someone's opinion if there's something that can be upgraded without going over budget, if there's something that doesn't fit well or stuff like that.

I'm intrested mainly in the motherboard, since it's the piece I know less of.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

looks like a sweet build to me.

the  i-5 is a solid processor, there are better cpu, but the cost of them doesn't justify unless the desired applications call for it.

the motherboard will be the foundation of the new build so the manual with it will need a good reading, that one must be done right. the OS gets assigned to it first thing, and to have to replace it might mean the OS will need to be re-assigned. there are better motherboards, but the higher cost must be justified. i see that the motherboard supports crossfire, but not sli. the 660ti is the sli sort. the amd series cards like the r9 270x or hd7870 are the crossfire sort, and comparable to the 660ti.

the power supply is something that might need a better review. i see 46 +12v amps. that is fine with mid-range builds, but a few extra bucks for more +12v amps might be worth investigating as the cost for a higher amp power supply isn't that much and is justified for solid supply for future possible add-ons. i prefer 60-70 +12v amps. corsairs and seasonics are the psu s that most users testify to.

the 8gb RAM is in sweet range. you could get more at more cost, but for the most part, 8gb is fine and most veteran users won't go over that unless their applications demand it. my win7 machine is loaded up with 16gb RAM, and i have tried to just max it out with 5 extremely demanding animation routines running in unison, but I have yet to see it addressing more than 4.5 gb.

then there is the 660ti. this card is nothing but the best for the money. GOOD CHOICE. it has the cutting edge kepler GPU. there are better/faster/more expensive  cards, but the application must justify the added cost. the asrock mobo won't support adding another in SLI config though. also, it has the 2gb vram, if you are going to be using 2 large monitors and/or doing any kind of demanding games like b4. the 2gb may not fulfill.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 nJack

nJack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the detailed reply!

looks like a sweet build to me.

the motherboard will be the foundation of the new build so the manual with it will need a good reading, that one must be done right. the OS gets assigned to it first thing, and to have to replace it might mean the OS will need to be re-assigned. there are better motherboards, but the higher cost must be justified. i see that the motherboard supports crossfire, but not sli. the 660ti is the sli sort. the amd series cards like the r9 270x or hd7870 are the crossfire sort, and comparable to the 660ti.

I didn't notice that. But anyway I'm not going to put 2 vga in sly, so there should be no problem on that side.

the power supply is something that might need a better review. i see 46 +12v amps. that is fine with mid-range builds, but a few extra bucks for more +12v amps might be worth investigating as the cost for a higher amp power supply isn't that much and is justified for solid supply for future possible add-ons. i prefer 60-70 +12v amps. corsairs and seasonics are the psu s that most users testify to.

I'll look into that.

then there is the 660ti. this card is nothing but the best for the money. GOOD CHOICE. it has the cutting edge kepler GPU. there are better/faster/more expensive  cards, but the application must justify the added cost. the asrock mobo won't support adding another in SLI config though. also, it has the 2gb vram, if you are going to be using 2 large monitors and/or doing any kind of demanding games like b4. the 2gb may not fulfill.

Yeah I noticed I made a mistake, I was going to buy the gtx 660, not the 660 ti. There shouldn't be a huge difference as far as I know.
Anyway since I'm a more than casual gamer I should be fine with the regular 660.

Edited by nJack, 24 February 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

i was going to say, the 660 ti is just behind the new gen 780 3gb in cost comparison. the  gtx 660 is well within the 220 USD range and to go over that finance level will need to be validated.

#5 nJack

nJack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

I see. About the two large monitor, I'm going to use 2 24" 1080p monitor. Not for gaming though, just for work. For the gaming one will suffice. The 660 should be able to handle it without any problems, right?

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

on one 24" the 660 is going to satisfy, but what if you DO decide to use both displays for one media? i am not sure the 660 would be so satisfying in that setup. the 770 or 780 may be in order and the added cost may be necessary to make that setup delightful. i know the 680 is too much cost, way too much when you compare it to the 770, which is a new generation of it. it is so weird , and this is nothing new, that it is always the question of a few more bucks.....just a few more bucks can get me this, which is better than that. where does it end? i think your build is in that sweet spot in the price/performance curve where the extra cost and spending a little more isn't going to add that much functionality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users