Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting off XP at last and while I'm at it, a new computer.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Artistmike

Artistmike

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:56 AM

Time to upgrade in terms of hardware and software, and as I don't want Windows 8.1 I'm going for Windows 7 Pro and hoping the build below will give me a good length of life, ready to upgrade to Windows 9 or whatever occurs next year or whenever it comes out and also able to take hardware additions later too.

This build is aimed at hopefully lasting a while, doing mainly graphics work and a bit of light gaming (Railway Sims) when I can sneak the time... :lmao: Anyway, as I say, spec that I've planned is as below so I'd be grateful for any criticism or ideas from anyone, without spending too much more ! ... 

Cheers !

Case
InWIN GT1 BLACK GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD FX-8320 Eight Core CPU (3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3+)
Motherboard
ASUS® M5A99X EVO R2.0 (DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s,CrossFireX/SLI, Windows 8)
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
2GB AMD RADEON™ HD7850 - DVI,HDMI,DP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 3 Capable
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 2 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 docdavies

docdavies

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:01 AM

Seems ok to me at a glance!

One thing springs to mind, if it's a new build why not install a SSD and run the OS on that instead of on the SATA HDD!

Use the SATA HDD for your data etc.

Apart from that have fun with your build!

Doc

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

+1 0n the SSD you will have much better performance!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Artistmike

Artistmike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

If I'm going to run Windows 7 Pro, so that I can use the virtual engine for XP, what size SSD do you think I'd need. ?

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

Many run a 120 up front for the OS and programs and a larger one behind for storage.

#6 docdavies

docdavies

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

Yep, a 120GB SSD should be fine for running the OS as Old Phil says.

Depends upon available funds really ;-)

Have a look on this forum for info about setting up the SSD in the best way, as there are a few things to be aware of.

I think the increase in performance, over a mechanical disc, is well worth the outlay, especially for the now reasonably priced 120GB SSDs

Doc

#7 Artistmike

Artistmike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

Sounds good ! ... I'll probably just sell one of the children off as a chimney sweep to cover the cost....  :whistle:   I've not used SSDs before so all part of the learning experience.... thanks for the advice...  :)

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

You will get a kick out of the boot time and program loads super fast.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

Personal opinion, 120Gb SSD is to small, go to at least double that based on my past experiences.

What I have in use as of today 120Gb, 160Gb, 500Gb, 1Tb

The 120Gb is more than large enough for the laptop it is in since it gets used twice a month, No surfing, No email, no web browsing.

The 160Gb in its laptop is too small, it is used for email, browsing etc. 7Gb free

The 500Gb is plenty large and has approx 200Gb free. It is used with data drives for Capturing, Editing, and authoring video to BluRay disks.

The 1Tb is in this computer and has approx 305Gb free. It is used for everything.

So as You can see no one answer fits all needs. Also I only use Intel and Samsung as they have good reputations for reliability.

I suggest looking at Your proposed usage and working from there.

Also make sure You have USB3 and in the future only Buy USB3 storage devices. The speed is well worth the incremental upcharge.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

All you wanted was a 1T drive to begin with, large SSD's are still budget prohibitive for many.  A 120 SSD for the OS and programs followed by a standard 1T spinner which would well surpass your initial goal.  That type setup is run by several on this board me included, fact is most would never fill a 120 SSD with the OS and programs.  But many will fill a T drive fairly quick with music, photos and films.

#11 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 599 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

All you wanted was a 1T drive to begin with, large SSD's are still budget prohibitive for many.  A 120 SSD for the OS and programs followed by a standard 1T spinner which would well surpass your initial goal.  That type setup is run by several on this board me included, fact is most would never fill a 120 SSD with the OS and programs.  But many will fill a T drive fairly quick with music, photos and films.

I have 4 TB external storage and it is already nearly half full, mostly with photographs (I go in for action sequences of natural history events, like falcons catching their prey in midair, etc., shooting 24 megapixels at 6 frames/second fills space pretty fast :) ).  Music, I don't go there yet, it's still mostly on CDs, plus the instruments I myself play (piano and classical guitar).  Yes, some video, and much more to come (but I already know I will need more storage for that).

Just my two cents' worth :)

John

#12 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:36 AM

Intel cpu's are significantly better if you can swing it.

Seems like for a case that sweet you should get 2x8gb dual channel ram so it can actually run dual channel. Unless I'm mistaken (which I could easily be), even 2x4gb would be better than 1x8gb

Nvidia cards and drivers seem better, I've had it with AMD.

Like they said, an SSD would be sweet.

Consider not having a dvd drive unless you will actually be using it.

If you get only 450 watt power supply, won't you have to buy a new one in 2 years?

#13 ewallace978

ewallace978

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:16 AM

I have a question along those lines too.  Just purchased a stock Dell computer with a 1TB drive but would like to buy and install an SSD drive for the OS.  I haven't recieved the PC yet so was thinking, before I started loading the programs I need and use I would do the SSD install, but would i just be able to move the OS from the original drive to the SSD?

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,080 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:23 AM

Personal opinion, 120Gb SSD is to small,

Yes I agree with that.

Remember a SSD need's  about 25% free space to operate. So a 120 gig SSD should always have about 30 gig free space to do its stuff.

Edited by NickAu1, 26 March 2014 - 12:24 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:58 PM

Samsung and Intel SSDs have software available from their websites to clone the Hard Drive to their SSD drives. Make sure You get one that is large enough.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users