Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restricted File

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 omniskillz

omniskillz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:21 PM

Ok,Im using XP Home and I have had to re-instal my computer several times.Each time it left the old documents.And there using up so much dick space.Problem is there ristrected and Im guessing because theres a password on them.but it wont let me type in a pass,just a info screne saying Im not allowed to access.Is there anyway to bypass the restriction and delet the folder.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:20 PM

Right click the folder, and select Properties.
Make sure it's not set to Read-only.
If it is, uncheck it, click Apply, and click OK.
Now try to delete it.

If that doesn't work, there are a couple of programs, you can try:
Eraser
Unlocker
Delete Doctor

There's also this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article that might be helpful:
How To Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 omniskillz

omniskillz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

THANK YOU!

I would say i love you...but

*hand shake*

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:19 PM

You're quite welcome, omniskillz.
I'll take the handshake. :thumbsup:
Which one, worked for you?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 omniskillz

omniskillz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:36 PM

actually turned out neither folder had anything...so my problem lyes elsewhere...BTW nice foxfire pic

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

What exactly, is your problem?
Maybe some one here can help you.
Give as many details as possible.

#7 omniskillz

omniskillz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:34 PM

um...idk...out of 57 gigs i have 2...and i know im not usin that much...i had to redo my comp many times...and the only thing i can think is those files i cant delete(still non of the programs work)...and i cant get ownership of them...my comp is soooo messed up...yet its a neccesity for my work...i just need to find out whats causing all my gigs to be gone...wether its a comp problem or some file i cant find

#8 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 05:57 PM

You could try setting your search facility in windows to look for files over a certain size, say, 1Mb.
phantazy

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:15 PM

You can download Spacemonger and find out what's using the space. One thing you might do is reset the System Restore size - by default it uses 10% of your drive because it was invented when drives were smaller. I usually set it to about 1.5 GB. (Windows Key + Pause Key, System Restore tab. Drag slider until you have the desired amount.)

To use Spacemonger, it needs to be somewhere on your computer. Double-click it. When the program opens, choose "open" and then the C: drive. It will show you graphically what's taking up space.

#10 omniskillz

omniskillz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:39 PM

Thanks Ill try spacemonger...will it look in restricted files?...oh...well ill find out i guess

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users