Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

scary thought: This Halloween marks the end of new Windows 7 consumer PCs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 windummy

windummy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

Greetings BC Community:

This is just a initiated discussion about news I've heard regarding Halloween 2014 marking the end regarding the selling of new Windows 7 consumer Pc's. There's also expressed dismay about Win 8 not exactly performing as advertised, etc.

I found (2) link articles about both subjects and would be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts about this. Looking forward to spirited dialogues as follows.

http://bgr.com/2014/02/14/when-will-windows-7-pcs-stop-being-made/

http://bgr.com/2014/01/20/hp-windows-7-pcs-return/

Re,

/MH~

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2014 - 09:42 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to General Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

I think the biggest thing that killed Windows 8 was that the gui and general layout. You have to maneuver through tons of crap just to get one thing done. It's hard to navigate. Many laptops being sold with windows 8 don't even have a touch screen. So you have to use a touch pad which makes things even worse. Then they got old outdated features like pptp with chap2 that has been 100% crackable. If you're going to make something new then make something NEW. All they did was cake on a bunch of cosmetics. What utter garbage.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

welcome to windows . . .oops did I just say that out loud?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:14 AM

This is just a initiated discussion about news I've heard regarding Halloween 2014 marking the end regarding the selling of new Windows 7 consumer Pc's. There's also expressed dismay about Win 8 not exactly performing as advertised, etc.

This seems to match my problems of going into a reasonably sized national electronics retailer yesterday.

One simple question and I was almost shoved out into the street.

The simple question was " Do you stock, or sell any Windows 7 based computers any more".

I am aware that I will get several links to US based stores, but a simple question in an Aussie store was just too much.

The person at the store looked at me as if I wanted a new Windows 95 or 98 based unit, and not the (last) almost current version.

We now know that Mr Smiths shop (in that area) will not be seeing me again for any computer items.

Yes, I am aware that Windows 7 has a limited life now, but Windows 8 / 8.1 is already planned to end in a few years, so I may as well have been asking if they knew if the Windows 9 versions would be taking pre-orders already.

Do not be afraid, but DELL is already debugging Windows 9 for their systems as I type this.

I just needed to get that off my head while I was thinking / reading about it (plenty of links, so find your own with Google).

I think I feel better now - Regards -

#5 Sogin

Sogin

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

Boo. =/ Windows 8 was a fail. Anything that the Desktop is an App? No thank you, if I wanted an OS like that I would get a tablet. Though, I will say I am not surprised, they always try to find ways to push the junkier OS'

#6 -Psychopath-

-Psychopath-

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

Windows 7's days a limited? This is news to me. I've seen Windows 8 and it looks like it's suited for Tablets. Windows 8.1 I've not seen. But I'm told it's a lot better.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:36 PM

Windows 7 computers were in short supply last year & are back by popular demand. Some OEM's, such as Acer, needs all the help they can get to sell computers & HP launched a notice of 7's return. Dell offers the same XPS 8700 that I have (specs in my sig) with Windows 7 HP & Pro, however I bought mine at Costco for $699 with Windows 8. They had the XPS 8700 with Windows 7 Pro with 8GB RAM, instead of 12GB for $799, but sold out before I could grab one. Still, for the hardware I got, I came out great. That i7-4770 is a top ranked chip at PassMark & sells for around $300. Plus 12GB 1600MHz RAM isn't cheap these days either, when memory falls back to late 2011 pricing, I'll stuff it full with the 32GB it'll hold.

However, I had an extra version of Windows 7 Home Premium (OEM) that I grabbed on promo for $69 at Newegg, so I went through the procedure of disabling Secure Boot, changing to Legacy Boot (MBR) & there was another setting to ACHI. Then I removed the OEM HDD from the PC & installed a fast Samsung 840 EVO (WEI 7.9), loaded & activated 7 HP, installed drivers, updated, then using the Windows Anytime Upgrade key from a dead PC that I purchased in 2010, upgraded it to 7 Pro. It took a phone call to activate. If one has such a key, it's transferable to another computer, so long as it's not being used on another, but has to be upgraded from the same version of Windows 7 as the original.

Keep in mind, that one can still obtain the OEM versions of Windows 7 from Newegg & other retailers. It's best to avoid online auctions, such as eBay, for this type of software. Though I was refunded by eBay, I once got burned with a counterfeit copy of XP Pro from a seller on their site.

Costco normally offers one or more Windows 7 HP or Pro computers at great pricing. And note that this "deadline" is for Windows 7 Home Premium. Windows 7 computers can still be obtained for business (the Pro version) & Costco caters to businesses, depending on membership level, so they may be obtainable there for awhile still.

There are also many promos online, just search "Windows 7 computer promos". Some links may be outdated (expired), while others may be good. If one is found, be prepared to buy, as these moves fast. Most of these codes links back to the OEM, or a major retailer such as Newegg, Staples, Best Buy & others. Make certain that the description of the computer meets that in the promo ad. I have caught Best Buy cheating, a i7 was promted, yet when I got to the site, it had an i5. An XPS 8700 with 8GB RAM, NVIDIA 640 (DDR3) GPU & i5 is overpriced at $729. I got 4GB more RAM, a 1GB GDDR5 GPU & an i7 for $30 less.

The customer has the advantage & this is clearly a buyer's market for Windows computers of all types. It's highly possible that an OEM or local major electronics retailer will bend & install Windows 7 if 8 isn't desired. Spend an hour or so time with the salesperson, begin talking down price (yes, they will!) & at the close, agree for the deal if 7 is installed. I personally know of 2 people who done this at Best Buy & both also received install media. That shows the markup on these units.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:23 AM

The simple question was " Do you stock, or sell any Windows 7 based computers any more".

I am aware that I will get several links to US based stores, but a simple question in an Aussie store was just too much

Yes tell me about it, I went into Office Works and asked " can I buy a laptop without an OS on it? And how much cheaper will it be?" The reply was "no" and "What are you going to do with a laptop without an OS?" I replied " I am going to put linux on it"  They paged the "Manager" of the PC section who for the next 5 minutes tried to tell me that it was not possiable to install linux on the laptop how even if I managed it I would void my warranty, Then he did something on his tablet pc and said he just looked it up for me and that there are ..... wait for it..... No Linex drivers for the laptop ( it was a HP G6 pavillion ) so sir he says" you will not be able to play video, music, or even get online thru wifi. But if you buy this pc with windows on it everything will just work ( I think he had that bit confused with linux).

Anyhow I went to ebay got the hp it had no hdd in it but it booted to bios. So now it has a HDD in it a 500 GB samsung, It also has Unbuntu 12 LTS with the full KDE Compiz Fusion and Cairo dock with all the eye candy going and just to be an A** I took it in to show this IT expert. He was anazed with how everything worked and how fast the pc is. Then he says " sir that laptop will not last more than 6 months running like that, can I intrest you in a copy of Windows 8, Its made for laptops, And your laptop will not burn out as fast".

What the??????????

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:54 AM

It's the same in the US, unless one knows a system builder, or a do-it-yourselfer, which is next to impossible for a portable, most all computers are sold with Windows 8 or iOS.

Hopefully OEM's will continue to churn out Windows 7 computers, although they can't sell them after Halloween, 3rd party resellers can. I don't believe that new Vista nor XP computers are supposed to be sold, but they can be found. Brand new in the original boxes.

A friend of mine bought a brand new Panasonic Toughbook with XP Pro for well over $2,000 last year, however he removed the drive containing XP, leaving it intact & installed a Samsung 840 Pro SSD & 7 Ultimate.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:37 AM

I am aware that I will get several links to US based stores, but a simple question in an Aussie store was just too much

Yes tell me about it, I went into Office Works and asked " can I buy a laptop without an OS on it? And how much cheaper will it be?" The reply was "no" and "What are you going to do with a laptop without an OS?" I replied " I am going to put linux on it"  They paged the "Manager" of the PC section who for the next 5 minutes tried to tell me that it was not possiable to install linux on the laptop how even if I managed it I would void my warranty, Then he did something on his tablet pc and said he just looked it up for me and that there are ..... wait for it..... No Linex drivers for the laptop ( it was a HP G6 pavillion ) so sir he says" you will not be able to play video, music, or even get online thru wifi. But if you buy this pc with windows on it everything will just work ( I think he had that bit confused with linux).

Anyhow I went to ebay got the hp it had no hdd in it but it booted to bios. So now it has a HDD in it a 500 GB samsung, It also has Unbuntu 12 LTS with the full KDE Compiz Fusion and Cairo dock with all the eye candy going and just to be an A** I took it in to show this IT expert. He was anazed with how everything worked and how fast the pc is. Then he says " sir that laptop will not last more than 6 months running like that, can I intrest you in a copy of Windows 8, Its made for laptops, And your laptop will not burn out as fast".

What the??????????

LOL That's hilarious. That's funny he said that about wifi. Installing or live booting off linux I get a 3-4 dbi RF gain on the radio instantly.

Edited by technonymous, 02 April 2014 - 03:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users