Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer - HD problem?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JudMc

JudMc

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

I think this might be a hard drive problem, but I'm not sure.

This is about a Dell Inspiron 570, running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, all updates. The C drive is a 600GB Western Digital WDC WD64 SATA (IDE) with 148GB free.

My daughter uses it (mostly for games) and it is getting very slow (click on things and they might not start, or sometimes the blue circle spins for a couple of minutes before it starts, or it will start OK). It could take quite a while for something to come up. I checked Task Manager, and nothing was taking up more than a few percent of the CPU. I ran Kaspersky on it and it found one threat. After that was gone, it was still slow.

I started suspecting the C hard drive, so I started a ScanDisk/CHKDSK. It got to stage 4 of 5 (verifying file data), and when it got to 22% it started taking a very long time. It took 3 hours or more to get to 25%, then it got faster. It doesn't give any messages about bad sectors or anything.

I tried three other hard disc testing programs, but I couldn't get any of them to work. Defraggler has a testing function, but it got part way and said that it couldn't finish and scheduled a chkdsk /f.

I reran ScanDisc, and the same thing happened - about 5 hours to go from 22% to 25% on stage 4.

The second HD is a Seagate, and when I installed it in 2009, I cloned the C drive to it, with Windows as it was when I bout the computer. I could swap the drives and it might work. Or could I copy the Windows folder from the second HD to the C drive (might could do it in safe mode)?

Could this indicate a hard disc problem? Or software? What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

Do more that what Windows provides you. Download HD Tune or SeaTools. And post a snapshot with Speccy, if you need help with these things then I can help you.

Edited by AlexSmithFanning, 23 February 2014 - 10:56 PM.

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

#3 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

I ran HDTune. First I ran the quick scan. At one point it slowed down quite a bit, and that looked like it was about 22-25%. At a couple of other points it paused briefly. It showed no errors.

(To me, it sounds like the HD is marginal in places. I got this as a refurbished unit from Dell a few years ago, so it is several years old. The C drive is the one that came in it and I added the second drive when I got it, so it is newer.)

Then I ran a full scan. It was most of the way through when I went to bed, with no errors. When I got up, Windows had updated and rebooted so I didn't see the final results.

I ran SeaTools. The "fix all" says that it can fix only Seagate drives, and this is a Western Digital. However, I started running the individual tests. I ran SMART, Short DST,
Short generic, and long generic. They all passed. I didn't run the advanced because it says that it can destroy data.

I've started the full scan on HDTune again.

I tried to attach the Speccy snapshot, but it says that I'm not permitted to upload this kind of file (it is only 50KB).

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

Use the following instructions to post the link for the Speccy.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download Data Lifeguard for DOS (this is Western Digital's diagnostic tool for their hdds).

This is a zip file, to extract the file you will need a program like 7-zip to extract the ISO image.

This will download a ISO image which you will burn to a CD to create a bootable disc.

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

In order to boot from this disc you may need to enter the BIOS to change the boot order so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device and the hdd the second device.

Insert the disc in the optical drive and restart the computer and follow the prompts.  Run the short test.

Please post the results.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

Here is the link to the Speccy report: 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/vNqciDRghDAq0yxItol23W3

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

You are running two antivirus programs, you should only run one as the two together can cause false positive and make Windows unstable.

The Speccy shows a warning for the S.M.A.R.T. in the Seagate hdd, this usually means that there is a potential for a disc failure.  Usually if there is a problem you will see errors in the Current Pending Sector Count and the Uncorrectable Sector Count, but there are none in the Speccy snapshot.  To be on the safe side I would suggest running SeaTools for DOS (this is Seagate's diagnostic tool) to be sure of it's health.

Please download SeaTool for DOS.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button in step #4.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD in order to create a bootable disc with which to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

imgb1_zpsbb69e759.png

Right click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then click on Downloads.  Scroll down to the SeaTools for DOS download and click on it.  This will load the ISO image, you will see the information listed as it is in the image below outlined in red.

imgb2_zps3f021ae7.png  

Click on the blue arrow (also outlined in red) to start burning the bootable CD.

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

> Please download Data Lifeguard for DOS (this is Western Digital's diagnostic tool for their hdds).

> This is a zip file, to extract the file you will need a program like 7-zip to extract the ISO image.

> This will download a ISO image which you will burn to a CD to create a bootable disc.

I was working on this, but the WD software said that it wouldn't run on my OS.  I checked WD, and I have the latest version, 2/4/14, I think.

So I thought that maybe I need to burn the image first and boot from that.  But is says to select the ISO I want, and I don't know what ISO I want or where it is.

#8 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

You are running two antivirus programs, you should only run one as the two together can cause false positive and make Windows unstable.

I added Kaspersly 2 or 3 days ago and I thought that it would disable Defender.  Seems that it did not, so I did.

I went into msconfig and took a lot of stuff out of the startup and out of another tab.  That seemed to help, but there are still times when something simple like opening a folder in explorer won't work.  The blue circle will spin for a few minutes and then either say "not responding" or do nothing.

#9 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

The full scan with HDTune finished - it showed 0 bad blocks.  I reported earlier that SeaTools found no problems.  I haven't been able to get the Western Digital one to run. 

I don't know if the C drive is marginal or if it is something else.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

What kind of problem are you having running the Data Lifeguard?

#11 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

It says that it is the wrong operating system.  I downloaded a second time and got the same message.

However, my thinking now is that since my second HD is newer and is used only for backups, maybe the easiest thing to do is to close the C drive to the second drive and then swap them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users