Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Ctrl-Alt-Del the only key option?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

Hi,

My PC keeps freezing while playing my favourite game (Iron Front), and I have to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to try to get out of the lockup,which sometimes works and sometimes not.

So in the event of a "not", are there any other keys I can try to get out of the freeze, rather than have to go through the time-consuming process of pressing the 'Restart' button  and waiting for the PC to boot up again?

Needless to say I've asked at the Iron Front Forum, but I'm still stuck.

I'm Win XP Home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

Have you checked event viewer when one of these freezes happens to see what could be the root cause? See if you can address the cause instead of bypassing it when it happens.

Just a thought.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

Thanks, what's the event viewer?

And if my screen is froze solid and no keys work how will i access it?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Are you saying that you play your game...every second that you are on the system?

As for Event Viewer...How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html .

Louis

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

You look at event viewer once you gain access to your computer again. It logs system events. Just note time and date of freeze and match it to the event viewer log.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

To clarify- I boot up the Iron Front game and it plays fine but then freezes solid at random times after 20 minutes or an hour or so with the picture frozen solid on screen (tank/plane/infantry etc) and I have to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to unfreeze it, but Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't always work so I have to hit the Restart button.

The game is fairly processor-heavy so maybe my PC is struggling to handle it and I suspect overheating may be the cause.

I've asked around all the Help forums but no advice works, so I'm thinking of beefing up my PC. 

These are its specs, it plays all my other games fine. What components do you think I should replace to give the PC more horsepower, or maybe I should just buy a completely new PC?

Intel Core2 Duo E8500@3.16GHz
RAM 4.0GB Dual-channel DDR2@400Mhz
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1024Mb

WinXP Home SP3

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#8 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

Thanks guys but I'm going to leave it for a little while until after I replace my Win XP with Win 7, then see how I get on with that.. :)

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Before migrating to Windows 7, it is advisable to see if your computer as it is now can run Windows 7. So please download and use the Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser to determine if your hardware needs updating.

#10 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

Thanks, I ran the Win 7 Upgrade Adviser and it came up with several issues "that you may need to address".
It's all to techy for me but no sweat, I'll simply take my PC down to the local comp shop to upgrade me to Win 7 and let them sort it all out, i've been dealing with them for 12 years and they're a reputable trustworthy outfit.. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users