Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen - Can only open in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chefchad

chefchad

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

Because I am apparently an idiot, I tried to save some money a few months back and just purchase a hard drive for my wife's old Dell Vostro laptop, rather than spend the money on a new computer.  Since then, a couple of things have happened.  

First, my cd rom stopped working, saying there is no driver and my attempts to find a compatible driver have been in vain.  So reloading the software I bought (e.g. MS Office) has been a non-starter, but since I have used this computer very little, I just blew that off.

However, I needed to do some light word processing and send and check emails, but when I turned the computer on, I got the blue screen (attached) and can only get out of the blue screen, restart, blue screen cycle by opening windows in safe mode which, of course, means that I cannot connect to the internet.  In case the attachment is not clear enough, the blue screen says "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"...whatever that means.

Unfortunately, this laptop shaped box is all I have at the moment.  Is there any hope for me?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Chef Chad

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chefchad

chefchad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

I should clarify that, if I need to download certain programs that I can upload to my computer in safe mode, I have access to my wife's work computer, so hopefully that helps.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

Unless my memory fails me completely - which is always possible - you can use the internet in Safe Mode. When you get to the Safe Mode options screen do you not have three choices at the top - Safe Mode; Safe Mode with networking; and Safe Mode with logging ? You use the up and down arrow keys to select your choice, and then press the Enter key to activate it.

Again, there should be a restore function in XP. If it isn't directly accessible from the Safe Mode options screen, down towards the bottom, select Repair windows and let it run through that. If Windows repair doesn't fix your problem, when it gets to the screen which says it failed to do the fix, there is a box for more options. Click on this, and then in the next box select 'Restore Windows to and earlier date'.

If possible, choose a date before this problem occurred. If the date you are offered is not before this date, there is usually another button to select other restore dates. This will probably solve your blue screen problem - if it doesn't, post back.

Your CD drive problem is almost certainly one of corrupted drivers, and every CD/DVD drive I have come across runs on the generic drivers built into Windows. Once you have got your computer booting again, have a look at Device Manager (Start - Control panel - System - Device Manager) and see if thee is an exclamation mark or a similar warning symbol against the entry for the CD drive.

If there is, double click on the entry for the CD drive. A grey box will pop-up with tabs along the top. You want the one that says 'Drivers'. If you uninstall the drivers ( click on the 'Uninstall' button ) then restart your computer, the CD drivers should re-install themselves.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

Ndis.sys is a network related driver. It may be worth updating/reinstalling the drivers for the network card.

#5 chefchad

chefchad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

Well, I am typing from my computer now, so the biggest issue seems resolved.  So thank you for your instruction. Now, however, I am getting an error message reading:  "No language file found".  Should I be worried?  This isn't transmitting in cyrillic, is it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users