Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How to do ? : See photos here ( web address) "

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 parangles

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

I want to run a small classified print ad and

send prospects to an online site with my few photos

and a text description.

The address has to be short and easily remembered.

since they cant click on it and will have to copy it.

Is there any way to do that other than creating

a website and getting it hosted.?

' Online file sharing websites ' seem to be for huge files

and for P2P . Whats the best way now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,070 posts
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

There are any number of storage web-sites, some free, some paid for. For example, if you have a Google Live account (that's what it used to be called, I think they changed the name recently) you get  up to 5Gb of free storage Then there are web-sites like DropBox and Imageshack. Again, small amounts are often free. Just google for 'on-line photo storage' or something like that.

Essentially the way all of these work is that you upload your images to them, and when you want to include one of the images in you ad, you get the URL for the image from the web-site and include it with your text, as in this example - a most edifying shot of a card reader attached to a computer !

I have now just re-read your post and realised I was slightly missing your point. I think you will have to set up a small web-site of your own. It's not difficult, and you can usually get small sites hosted for free, somewhere. Again, google for 'free web-site hosting'. I manage two web-sites for Clubs I am a member of. One is completely free, the other we pay a small annual fee because it is a bigger Club and the web-site has more traffic.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 parangles

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

I have used Dropbox as a client involved in a project, and will look at their site.

The addresses I would have to give out are long , Googles is too long but I suppose if they  want the

Google name in there it has to be,  also they have limited and dated templates,

and no way to get info except to go through a wizard and give all your

personal info. There is an opportunity for someone to do:

www.MegaFreeSite.com/parangles ( or whatever unique name you invent).

The link embedded in text will not work because it is not transferrable to text. (html )for that is  something ' attributes'

My brain is rotting.

I have done some websites both with ? Gnu?,  wysiwyg type,  and Go Daddy templates.

There are many out there , better ones have a small fee.

I am impoverished  in the tropics . Domain name reg  is cheap. I am going to look at running a

home server on a Frankenstien PC from my garage stock. " Its Alive !! "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users