Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Performed Surgery On My PC With No Knowledge Of Post-Op Care...(I ran Combofix)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Audiotape

Audiotape

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Hello, I'm Audiotape and I'm in a bit of a pickle,

--- Before you read the meat and potatoes, I made my thread here as I don't have an active out of control infection or major booting problem, but please let me know if I accidentally bleepposted somewhere and will attempt to fix my post lol. You might be able to avoid reading this whole thing because I have given you (what i think) is the most important info in the next three paragraphs. ---

Meat and potatoes

Yes, as the thread title partially suggests, I ran disk cleanup, Eraser, unhide, rkill, Fixexec, Combofix, and finally Malwarebytes in a normal boot, without being asked by a helper. I have other minor computer issues and although neither new issues nor previous issues were caused or exacerbated by Combofix, respectively, I feel you should know about them.

Why? Took the advice of another forum and I think they are erroneous. The professionalism and shear number of threads and guides I have seen here suggests this. 

Everything below this might be info contained in some log Il be asked to produce, idk, but regardless I provided background info. Hope I didn't waste time. Since idk how things work on this forum, if you know what my next steps should be and will stop reading now, atleast skip to the note in red below please!

If not, onward!

I did not run Combofix to fight any suspected infections on my computer (I have errors with Windows Update detailed below), I ran it simply to see if it would find anything. With that said I'm not sure if it found something, when it finished I exited it quickly (I was, um, inebriated) and I didn't manually save, nor can I find the log.txt.  :oopsign: 

• The 7 entries in ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt look important.

My Windows 7 PC has had no new issues after running Combofix. yay.

More detailed info:

• The folder Qoobox is located on my C: drive, and I have not moved it nor edited it nor anything in it since it was created.
  • I ran Combofix from a single folder located on my Desktop.
  • I moved (for whatever reason) ComboFix from the folder to the Desktop.
  • Since running Combofix, Malwarebytes has found something suspicious and it quarantined them.
  • Unrelated to the Combofix, a few days prior, my PC encountered an error during Windows Update, proceeded to hang for a few minutes at the update screen, then my PC's fan began oscillating between (what sounded like) 50%-100% speed. The period of oscillation was roughly 3-4 seconds. This lasted until the Windows said it was "cleaning up.... ...", this finished and the computer rebooted. The reboot was a few seconds longer than "normal" and was particularly stressful for me, as I'm a college student and bleep's expensive, yo.
  • I have since turned automatic updates off. Seek advice regarding that as well.

In addition to the above, the PC has exhibited other, albeit apparently less severe issues that have gone on for months. They haven't gotten worse.

1. Sometimes my PC will bluescreen with error codes and crash when at the login screen If I touch the trackpad. Can we view these errors in Event Viewer?
  2. explorer.exe will stop working after I close out some .NET runtime error popup, and successfuly restarts itself. Sometimes this "explorer.exe has stopped working issue" happens multiple times in one day.

Surely WIndows stores all these error logs somewhere and we can look into them/do some diggin'? Do you even help with that on bleepingcomputer?

Note: If any of the issues above might lead to having to do any of the following, I need to know upfront, (specifically which issue(s)) because I will not attempt to fix that particular issue until a few months time after this semester ends (assuming the PC remains somewhat stable) unless I am strongly advised otherwise. I understand this might be irrelevant and impossible to predict due to the number of possible outcomes tests and logs can show. Nonetheless, I need to know where I stand before I begin anything. As of right now, I'm mostly stable.

1. Windows recovery
  2. OS reinstall
  3. Hell I don't even wanna mess with restore points until this college semester ends (There were a few trialware I was testing (Video editors), trial ran out, I wanted to squeeze more time out of them to finish a project I was working on, so after uninstalling the trialware with an external uninstaller, of course we all know they leave tid bits behind somewhere so you cant just reinstall/uninstall indefinitely for unlimited trials, so reinstalled and I tried to use TimeStopper and RunAsDate, didnt work, one more round of uninstalls/installs, occured. When those didn't work, did Disk Cleanup (does it do restore points ?) and then used Eraser on "previous versions" of folders that stored my exported Videos after I cut the videos to an ext. drive.. Thankfully I didn't mess with REGEDIT cleaners, or do any system restores. I think it backfired on me, I don't really remember, was inebriated at the time and I thought it would all work out... :oopsign:)

Haven't done CHKDSK (I heard one should do this in a situation like this?) because "out of sight out of mind"..lol.

Some other info below. 

• My booting (and only internal) drive is an SSD, and has no partitions that I know of

• Infectious/Problematic history of PC:
    • ​Trojan horse quarantined and deleted by AVG free 2014 months back
    • Quarantined entries in Malwarebytes that were in there for a while, but deleted the entries. Still have malwarebytes logs though :)
    • Toolbar once or twice/thrice from a CNET downloader which was removed by malwarebytes.
    • Video Editor trial I downloaded and scanned with either MBAM or AVG (i scan download with both), quarantined and deleted
    • Had trouble booting into Safe Mode after being instructed to do so 6 months back, Loading screen would hang on avgsci indefinitely, my Computer Guy fixed it, possibly the MBR issue iirc?
  • ​How I maintain my PC
    • ​AVG Free 2014 scans once a week 
    • malwarebytes after AVG is finished, but I dont recall if they've been full scans or quick.
    • I use Eraser and/or Shred Files with AVG to delete files I want rendered "unrecoverable"
      • ​please yell at me if this is stupid to do and I should stop lol

If it turns out there's exists a high probability that attempting to fix any of the 3 could render the thing useless or push the system to a point that wouldn't allow normal booting of the OS, I am ok with just leaving Combofix where it is until this semester ends, and Il be back in a few months time for help.

Hope I haven't wasted one's time by leading one to think there's important info throughout the post, Idk what is needed to determine how to treat PC problems, I'm only trying to help you help me.  :hello: 

I've learned that the harder and longer I poke at complex computer issues on my own, the harder and longer the blasted things poke me back...And their pokes have hurt. And I'm really afraid of Combofix poking me lol.  

I appreciate your time and look forward to gettin' her stable and back on Windows Update. :killcomp:  

Oh and hi, this is my first topic as well as forum post here!  :bananas:Looking forward to reading some (read: a lot) of the guides here, as well as clearing up misconceptions I've read once and for all.

~ I think I've found an intellectual goldmine ~

Audiotape

Edited by Audiotape, 23 February 2014 - 04:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

Since you ran combofix, Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

#3 Audiotape

Audiotape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

holy quick reply batman, thank you. on it

#4 Audiotape

Audiotape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

Here is the link to the new topic:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/525487/pupoptional-found-invalid-ppt-bluscrn-crash-explorerexe-crashes-freq/

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log at the link above, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users