Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mikelivia

mikelivia

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:56 PM

Hey all, Well recently my video card had burnt out. Had to get dell come out and fix it yada yada yada. Ok so where i am now is I will be playing a game on the computer for about 4 hours. Then the screen turns black and then goes to a blue screen no writing and i have to restart the computer. I put my hand behind the fan port and do feel warm air. I am going to find a link to one of the temp monitors. I think it is the video card over heating that causes this. Not sure so I will post back with temp. I was not here when the tech installed the video card. Could it be that i have to install the drivers. I dont think that would be it but dont suppose it would hurt. Thanks all

EDit: Ok just sitting on desktop doing nothing it reads 39C. Im going to go play my game for about an hour then see what it is at. I played for about two hours and no blue screen and the computer it at 37C so cooler now. Sometimes i can play forever and no blue screen other times i can play for a hour and it will happen. Also it only happens when I play the game

Edited by mikelivia, 13 May 2006 - 07:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:54 AM

I got the blue screen tonight. Restarted the computer then looked to see what the temp was. It said 36 even cooler. Im not sure what is wrong.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:13 AM

Check to make sure that the card is properly seated.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:03 PM

How would that effect i mean it works sometimes but its not like its moving all around in there. Also when it does happen i just restart the comp and everything is fine again.

#5 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:33 PM

Maybe not every DELL, but many models have a severe Heat Dissipation problem.

There may be very little that you can do about it either....it's in the basic design (very bad) of the system itself.

Since you probably aren't wealthy enough to junk that system and buy something else, or have someone like me build one for you with ample cooling, your options are very limited.

Is that Dell, one that will let you remove the left side panel? If so, remove it and leave it off.
Maybe even put a small fan beside it to blow room temp air into it. That will prove if you really have a heat problem or maybe something else, like bad ram.

Let us here in the forum know how you're doing. OK?

Happy Mother's Day,

The Shadow :thumbsup:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#6 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunaly the side panel does not come off or i would just put a fan there blowing into the computer to slove the issue. For some reason i still think its the computer over heating. When i put a fan blowing into the ports in front of the case so it sucks more air. It seems the system works much better. Like you said im not very "wealthy" as of now. But i am saving for a new computer. Guess there isnt much i can do but put up with it. Thanks all

#7 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:21 PM

K happen again but this time the screen had text. It said if this was the first time to just restart the computer and if it happens again it could not be enough free space etc etc. any ideas ?

#8 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:56 PM

All desktop cases from dell are able to have the left side panel either removed or swung apart like a clam shell. Yours may have a release button on the lower left side of the front panel. If you can't figure out how to open it call up Dell.

Also recommended is a thorough RAM test such as Memtest86. It comes as an ISO file CD image that can be burned using Nero, Roxio, Sonic or the free CDBurnerXP. Make sure the BIOS is set to try to boot from the primary optical drive before it tries to boot from the hard drive. Leave the CD in the optical drive and restart. Your system will boot off the CD and the program will run by itself. Let it run through 3 complete passes. It should not list any errors.

If the memory test fails and you have more than 1 memory module then run the test when only one stick is installed at a time to isolate which module is bad.

#9 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:11 PM

ok Im going to do that now. But think you could maybe explain how to test the bios and things. Im not quite an expert so im unsure on how to perform all these things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users